Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Dear teachers,

Would you please tell me what is wrong with the following sentence and how I should correct it?

"I hvae bought a pen and I have lost it now."

Thanks!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have bought a pen -- that relates to the present. You've recently bought a pen, and you have it.

If you have since lost it, then your first part needs to be past perfect. You bought it before you lost it.

You could possibly use simple past for the first part, but in this case, I'd prefer the past.

Heidi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I have bought a pen -- that relates to the present. You've recently bought a pen, and you have it.

If you have since lost it, then your first part needs to be past perfect. You bought it before you lost it.

You could possibly use simple past for the first part, but in this case, I'd prefer the past.

Dear Barb_D,

Thank you for your explanation.

I have two more questions about this sentence: "I had bought a pen and I have lost it now.
#1 Is it better to replace 'and' with 'but'?
#2 Is it usual to use 'now' with the present perfect? Is it better to just leave it out?

francis 7

Member Type
Student or Learner
..."I had bought a pen and I have lost it now"...

If you use "had bought" you should use simple past in the next part. (past perfect is the past of the past ;-)) "Had bought" is the past of something. It would be better this way: " I had bought a pen but I lost it"

Status
Not open for further replies.