A question on third person

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Guest
This is an easy & basic question but...

If my name is Jess and I refer to my self in a conversation as Jess is that considered speaking in third person?

Example:

Jess thinks that Gummy Bears are disgusting.

Or

It's time for Jess to head to bed.

Sorry if this is a bit trite but I'm in the middle of a discussion on the subject & I'd like to win it! ;o)
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
While you wouldn't be speaking in the third person, you would be referring to yourself in the third person.

:)
 

MikeNewYork

New member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Jess said:
This is an easy & basic question but...

If my name is Jess and I refer to my self in a conversation as Jess is that considered speaking in third person?

Example:

Jess thinks that Gummy Bears are disgusting.

Or

It's time for Jess to head to bed.

Sorry if this is a bit trite but I'm in the middle of a discussion on the subject & I'd like to win it! ;o)

It can be referred to as speaking in the third person. :wink:
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So if I say "Ron is not sure he agrees with that" I am speaking in the third person?

:?:
 

MikeNewYork

New member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
RonBee said:
So if I say "Ron is not sure he agrees with that" I am speaking in the third person?

:?:

Yes. Everything does not have to be in the third person, but this form changes the first person to the third person, so the speaker appears to be someone else.
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
MikeNewYork said:
RonBee said:
So if I say "Ron is not sure he agrees with that" I am speaking in the third person?

:?:

Yes. Everything does not have to be in the third person, but this form changes the first person to the third person, so the speaker appears to be someone else.

Hm. I never thought Bob Dole was somebody else when he talked about Bob Dole.

:wink:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top