a second ticker

Status
Not open for further replies.

beeja

Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Hi,

"I finished an unattended. Natural causes. Guy was a hundred and six, and his second ticker conked on him in his sleep. Good way to go if you gotta"

What is a second ticker? A clock??? Does it mean A clock hit a man to death when he was sleeping?? :shock:

Tks,
 

beeja

Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Oh I forgot, this guy who spoke this is working in a medical examiner team (forensic science) and he was talking about a dead man whose second ticker conked on him in his sleep.

One more question.

A Man: "Hi Bax, hanging low?"
Bax: "Low and long"

What does "hanging low and long" supposed to mean? Tks, :?
 

twostep

Senior Member
Joined
May 10, 2004
beeja said:
Oh I forgot, this guy who spoke this is working in a medical examiner team (forensic science) and he was talking about a dead man whose second ticker conked on him in his sleep.

One more question.

A Man: "Hi Bax, hanging low?"
Bax: "Low and long"

What does "hanging low and long" supposed to mean? Tks, :?

second ticker - pace maker (heart)
hanging low - male anatomy
 

beeja

Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
twostep said:
beeja said:
Oh I forgot, this guy who spoke this is working in a medical examiner team (forensic science) and he was talking about a dead man whose second ticker conked on him in his sleep.

One more question.

A Man: "Hi Bax, hanging low?"
Bax: "Low and long"

What does "hanging low and long" supposed to mean? Tks, :?

second ticker - pace maker (heart)

ha ha ha, i thought of that too, like heart-attack while sleeping but i'm not so sure 'coz nowhere in my dictionary saying that the second ticker means pace maker. anyway, tks! :D

hanging low - male anatomy

for this one, i'm still not clear. why greeting by saying hanging low? weird. and if it's male anatomy, it's more weird. better explanation?? :(
 

Francois

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2004
I didn't guess those two meanings either, but they make sense. In a forensic context, one could imagine that doctors/students would make joke about the corpses, their male 'attribute' etc.

FRC
 

twostep

Senior Member
Joined
May 10, 2004
Francois said:
I didn't guess those two meanings either, but they make sense. In a forensic context, one could imagine that doctors/students would make joke about the corpses, their male 'attribute' etc.

FRC

Mea culpa!! I got mixed up. sorry!

He was 106, had a pace maker and passed away. A pace maker has to be disabled after someone passes away as it is a mechanical device which "will keep on ticking" just like a clock.. In Germany it is the law.
 

beeja

Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
twostep said:
He was 106, had a pace maker and passed away. A pace maker has to be disabled after someone passes away as it is a mechanical device which "will keep on ticking" just like a clock.. In Germany it is the law.

Wow, so it means that his heart rate was low at 106 and then passed away. Not heart attack, just heart was too weak, right?

Anyway, how about the "hanging low"? any better explanation. I don't understand why people greet each other by saying hanging low (and answer it as low and long), it's really weird and I don't get it at all. In this case, the medical examiner greets the police who brought the corps to his office. It seems to me like he wanna mean "had a bad case again?", is it possible? :?

tks.
 

twostep

Senior Member
Joined
May 10, 2004
beeja said:
twostep said:
He was 106, had a pace maker and passed away. A pace maker has to be disabled after someone passes away as it is a mechanical device which "will keep on ticking" just like a clock.. In Germany it is the law.

Wow, so it means that his heart rate was low at 106 and then passed away. Not heart attack, just heart was too weak, right?

Anyway, how about the "hanging low"? any better explanation. I don't understand why people greet each other by saying hanging low (and answer it as low and long), it's really weird and I don't get it at all. In this case, the medical examiner greets the police who brought the corps to his office. It seems to me like he wanna mean "had a bad case again?", is it possible? :?

tks.

I am not a medical specialist but the sentence did not mention the word heart attack.

I really do not want to go into any detail about male penis pride. OK? Maybe one of the gentlemen could be of assistance?
 

beeja

Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
twostep said:
I am not a medical specialist but the sentence did not mention the word heart attack.

I really do not want to go into any detail about male penis pride. OK? Maybe one of the gentlemen could be of assistance?

Sorry I didn't mean to be rude. I'm not native english speaker and don't get American slang or informal language they speak. That's why I need some help here to clarify my confusion. I searched from the internet about the word "hanging low" and it didn't show me exactly what it meant but some context I got, see below the olive text, it can mean "head hanging low" not the male thing. So I just think it might be possible that the ME guy asked if the cop still got cold cases or whatever. You know, I didn't think they talked about the male thing at all. That's why when you told me that it was, I'm quite surprised. I think it's pretty weird to greet each other like that. That's why I just ask. I didn't mean to upset you. If I do, I'm sorry. :cry:

FYI, quoted I got from the online novel:

To an island to see a sunset that he thought could speak. But the sun did not speak, so the man left, dejected, sad with his head hanging low on his walk back home.
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
beeja said:
Hi,

"I finished an unattended. Natural causes. Guy was a hundred and six, and his second ticker conked on him in his sleep. Good way to go if you gotta"

What is a second ticker? A clock??? Does it mean A clock hit a man to death when he was sleeping?? :shock:

Tks,

The human heart is often referred to as a ticker, one's ticker, one's life clock; when it stops beating, one's life is over, one's time is up.

The first ticker is one's heart, the second ticker is another name for a pacemaker, which is an artificial device that stimulates the heart muscles.

',...and his second ticker conked (out) on him' means, his pacemaker stoppped working. :(

'hanging low, and long' is ambiguous--given the lack of context. It could mean, though, that the officer is hiding out or taking a break from duty:

A: Hanging low? (i.e., taking a break from duty; keeping out of sight)
B: Hanging low, and long. (i.e., Yes, and for a while)

With regards to:

Male Greeting
A: How's it hanging?
B: Fine, OK, Pretty good, etc.

"It" refers to the male genitals, specifically the penis; "hanging" refers to its state/position of rest. Its position could be one of comfort or discomfort and hence 'How's it hanging?" means, "How are you (doing)?"

I dare say, given the question, "Hanging low?", that the officer's reply is in reference to the position (i.e., low) and size (long) of his penis. :roll:

All the best, :D
 

beeja

Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Casiopea said:
I dare say, given the question, "Hanging low?", that the officer's reply is in reference to the position (i.e., low) and size (long) of his penis. :roll:
All the best, :D

Wow, it's pretty weird when guys greet each other but by the way the other of this book is a woman, ha ha ha.

Thanks so much for your clarification. Again, it saves me!!! :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top