Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I'd be appreciated if you would explain the following in bold in easy English.

1. He refused to hide the opinions of individuals behind a single, unilateral "agency" recommendation. Mark said: "I go around the room and make everyone in attendance declare their personal point of view on a storyboard, a concept, a selling line or whatever....."

2. There's no getting around it. Hard work and persistence are essential ingredients of success. In fact, it is hard to find any truly great accomplishment that has been achieved without persistence.

3. I was under stress and was apparently letting it show, as reflected in one of my journal entries: "Norm Levy (the leader of our Copy operations) greeted me with a serious comment: 'You've got to smile more.' He's right........"

Thank you.

buggles

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
These sound to me to be quotes from what goes on in advertising agency, so assuming that to be the case -
A storyboard is a visual way of planning an advert - it's a bit like a comic strip to show the main scenes planned in, say a TV ad.
A selling line" is a product or range of products the agency is currently working on.
There's no getting around it. - Although we might want an easy life, we have to accept that in this case...........Hard work and persistence are........
Copy operations - Advertisers write "copy", in fact they are known as "copy-writers" e.g. "Go to work on an egg" is copy.

Hope this helps,
Buggles(not a teacher)

unpakwon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Yes. It has helped a lot.