a sentence structure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

Kerry told a crowd that he believes "there are reasonable Republicans out there who know that there's nothing conservative or mainstream Republican" about Bush's handling of the economy.

I get confused by the sentence structure with the blue part. I mean, I understand the rest part of it. And also, what does it mean? Does Kerry believe that Bush's handling of the economy is conservative or bad?

Thank you very much.

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Joe said:
Kerry told a crowd that he believes "there are reasonable Republicans out there who know that there's nothing conservative or mainstream Republican" about Bush's handling of the economy.

I get confused by the sentence structure with the blue part. I mean, I understand the rest part of it. And also, what does it mean? Does Kerry believe that Bush's handling of the economy is conservative or bad?

Thank you very much.

First of all, we really don't know what Kerry himself believes since he doesn't refer to himself directly--rather, he refers to "reasonable Republicans".

Kerry said:
...there's nothing conservative...about Bush's handling of the economy.

Bush's handling of the economy is not conservative.

Kerry said:
...there's nothing mainstream Republican about Bush's handling of the economy.

Bush's handling of the economy is not what the majority of Republicans would agree as being conservative in nature.

:)

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is no wonder that you are confused. So is John Kerry. Kerry seems to think that most Republicans think that cutting taxes is a bad thing. He seems to think that he understands Republicans better than Mr. Bush. The word mainstream refers to those who are in the majority.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.