Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Be prepared. Aside from emotional readiness of both child and parent, the ultimate preparation when playing hockey is the cost. Since it is a specialty and sensitive sport, the player needs a lot to comply with the rules of the game. The major expenses would basically cover the equipment to be used that includes safety gear and clothing needs. Other expenses would include the registration with a hockey program that range from $300 to $500 per season and other incidental costs.

Could you please rephrase the underlined expression (explain what the underlined words mean in this particular context)? What is a specialty sport, is it the one which demands special skills? As for sensitive sport - I even don't have ideas as to what it means.)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
This was not written by a person with a very good command of English.

Hockey is no more special than any other sport and as for being sensitive...that's meaningless.

Rover

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's very poorly written. I assume that by "specialty", the writer meant "it requires special equipment" which is true. By "sensitive", I assume he means that the players come into contact with you (ie their sense of touch is used when they hurtle into each other).

However, neither word is appropriate here.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think if you told an ice hockey player his sport was "sensitive," he'd probably knock a few of your teeth out!

Maybe they meant "expensive"?

Status
Not open for further replies.