• Exciting news! With our new Ad-Free Premium Subscription you can enjoy a distraction-free browsing experience while supporting our site's growth. Without ads, you have less distractions and enjoy faster page load times. Upgrade is optional. Find out more here, and enjoy ad-free learning with us!

A typical Englishman

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I have heard/used "bob's your uncle' on many occasion.

So have I, I've even heard "and Fanny's yer aunt" more times than I can count but sadly I have no idea of the origins.:)

beascarpetta

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Austria
Have you read the book? It is excellent, Havn't seen the film though.:)

No,so far I haven't , but maybe I will. I was just a bit taken aback when I read the first reviews on the film. Thanks for telling me.:-D

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
No,so far I haven't , but maybe I will. I was just a bit taken aback when I read the first reviews on the film. Thanks for telling me.:-D

Hi Bea,
I watched the film 'Atonement' yesterday evening, I found it beautiful; photography, performances and direction, I'd agree that it's not an "easy" film and requires concentration, but it repays that concentration in spades. Maybe not, "wham, bam, Hollywood spectacular" enough for some.:);-)

thedaffodils

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
One who has a stiff upper lip displays fortitude in the face of adversity, or exercises self-restraint in the expression of emotion.
The phrase is most commonly heard as part of the idiom keep a stiff upper lip, and has traditionally been used to describe a supposed attribute of British people, who were (and sometimes still are) perceived by many as being reserved; the idiom is however of American origin. Furthermore, most Welsh and Scottish people would see it as an essentially English trait unrelated to their national characteristics. The earliest known example is in a publication called the Massachusetts Spy for 14 June 1815; "I kept a stiff upper lip, and bought [a] license to sell my goods." [1]
:lol::lol:

buggles

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
According to "Desperate Housewives", it now seems we can be summed up as follows:

cricket
crumpets
users of the word "ghastly" !!

:-?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
According to "Desperate Housewives", it now seems we can be summed up as follows:

cricket
crumpets
users of the word "ghastly" !!

:-?

I say old chap steady on!

thedeebo

Member Type
Other
Here are some "traditional" stereotypes for British people from where I am:
Tea-sipping

"I say!/Cheerio!/Eh wot!"

Bad teeth

Here are some newer ones:
Techno-loving

Tight clothes

Football fanatics

Most all Americans seem to think that British accents are more sophisticated. Because of this, advertising companies will have British people read stuff off so they sound more credible. It usually works. I have a Philosophy professor who said that one of his philosophy teachers was British, and he could make the most illogical argument and win over most of the class, based on his accent (and his pipe/mustache!).

Just out of curiosity, do American accents carry any connotations like that in the UK or anywhere else?

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Here are some "traditional" stereotypes for British people ...

Just out of curiosity, do American accents carry any connotations like that in the UK or anywhere else?

A good source for stereotypical language is Astérix chez les Bretons (the jokes aren't nearly so good in the translations): all the Britons say plutôt ("Rather!") in unexpected places, and je dis ("I say").

And yes, some accents do have stereotypes associated with them, but not with any degree of detail; (we can't recognize that many). New England - privileged, academic, 'preppy'; New York - straight-talking, no nonsense; Southern red-necked (of course), a bit slow-witted. (These are stereotypes of course - usually wrong, Ouisch;-))

The marketing trick of using a slightly foreign (but not too foreign) voice to give an air of honesty is used in the UK - for us, it's Scottish (Edinburgh rather than Glasgow); lots of English financial institutions have call centres in Edinburgh.

b

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The marketing trick of using a slightly foreign (but not too foreign) voice to give an air of honesty is used in the UK - for us, it's Scottish (Edinburgh rather than Glasgow); lots of English financial institutions have call centres in Edinburgh.

b

Speaking of Glasgow, we have Billy Connolly doing an ad for an Insurance firm in Australia. He hasn't swayed me so far.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Speaking of Glasgow, we have Billy Connolly doing an ad for an Insurance firm in Australia. He hasn't swayed me so far.

Ah well, there you are you see, they picked a fella with the wrong accent, and from the wrong town.;-)

Anglika

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Other
I suppose it was that film he did about the man who sued God that meant a marketing bloke thought it was a good idea.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I suppose it was that film he did about the man who sued God that meant a marketing bloke thought it was a good idea.
Yes, Act of God wasn't it? And that was set in Aus or NZ; my memory's going. Now that you remind me though, the ads came out shortly after that.
Actually, he's quite popular down here.

buggles

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Strangely enough, Japanese car makers, Honda, run ads in the UK which have a friendly, reassuring male American voice-over. Very effective, (though I've not bought one - yet!) :)

Last edited:

thedeebo

Member Type
Other
Strangely enough, Japanese car makers, Honda, run ads in the UK which have a friendly, reassuring male American voice-over. Very effective, (though I've not bought one - yet!) :)

Haha. There are a lot of British voice-overs on beauty care products and things like jewelry. The voice-over is mostly always female. The sophisticated British woman will tell the unruly colonials how things are done, right?

buggles

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Haha. There are a lot of British voice-overs on beauty care products and things like jewelry. The voice-over is mostly always female. The sophisticated British woman will tell the unruly colonials how things are done, right?
Sounds right to me - why should we Brits be the only ones to be bossed around by upper-class "gels" with a plum in their mouths!

michelle-88

Member Type
Student or Learner
Woooooooow amazing topic ^^

For me I never visited uk but I really want to :-( So baaaaaaad

thought I traveled to many countries but never to England

So, I couldn't give a real description

but I met lots of British people in spain in America ... etc.

They were So proud & polite :cool:

I'm studying English literature the British of course , I like their accent , literature everything

So through the description giving in novels & plays

through studying criticism and poems and analyzing poet and such stuff

I came to realize that English people in general are proud

polite , lack sense of humor , sometimes cold in so bad in expressing their feelings thought they may love someone but they are proud so won't lose it for someone & last and least

fashoniable << I adore their fashion , i really love their style

but people in villages are narrow-minded like to show off how they respect and follow the tradition better than city people.

complex people who are struggling within , and the result of such like dr. Jykle & mr.Hyde novel and many works

respect the traditions & rules

stereotypes people

believe in themselves and countries think they are better than the french << during the revolution when they think of better solutions not like the french which i understand that they are not rashness aat all but like to hesitate and think wisely to able them achieve great end & to do a good work better than all :up: good luck for them.

Strict

arrive at time :-D

wearing a long jacket , holding an umberlla

reading newspaper and smoking :cool:

adore tea ;-)

Reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal Gentel men :up::cool:

and lot's of descriptions i can't decied & I might be wrong ;-)

you may think my words are a criticism or such but it's not

I told you before I never went to England only met few people, and all my thougths is a result of reading and studying literature :-?, So, it's not that true , because people in thier works may descripe false things through hs point of view.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The Englsh lack a sense of humor? Have you never heard of Monty Python?

(lots)

:)

buggles

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The Englsh lack a sense of humor? Have you never heard of Monty Python?

(lots)

:)
Add to that

Fawlty Towers
The Good Life
Rising Damp
The Two Ronnies
Porridge

to name but a few classics. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts