Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Watching NCIS, I encountered the expression "zero three hundred" instead of "three o'clock in the morning.' Is it a particular way of telling time only used by military people or its related organizations? Does it sound strange if business people or students use it?

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Watching NCIS, I encountered the expression "zero three hundred" instead of "three o'clock in the morning.' Is it a particular way of telling time only used by military people or its related organizations? Does it sound strange if business people or students use it?

It is primarily used by the military however I know quite a few people that use 24-hour time. I used to (because my dad was in the military) however it is a habit that has fallen as of late.

mogu

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you for your quick response, Haniballl.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think everyone who uses a 24 hour clock talks about time the way the military does. They would say it's "8 o'clock," not "oh-eight hundred hours."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I used to work at an airport and we always used the twenty-four hour clock and worded it in the same way as the military. It meant there couldn't be any confusion about the scheduled arrival/departure time of flights etc.

The Paris flight is due in at sixteen twenty-four.
We didn't have enough staff to meet the the oh eight sixteen Tenerife flight but we have three people waiting at the gate for the oh eight twenty-four Lagos flight.

mogu

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you for sharing your ideas, guys. Any job that requires the precise time expression may/has to use the twenty-four hour clock to avoid any unnecessary confusion. Come to think of it, it sounds very reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.