Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi,
I ´ve got a question about the use/omission of "the" in the following sentence:
I was exposed to the rain and the wind and (the???) cold weather tended to shorten battery life.
I ´ve copied the sentence litteraly from my course book resource pack and students are meant to correct mistakes. The thing is, I ´d personally leave "the" before cold weather, but the key says "omit it".
Have you got any clues?
Thanks a lot in advance for your help.
Eva

mayita1usa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was exposed to the rain and the wind and (the???) cold weather tended to shorten battery life.
I ´ve copied the sentence litteraly from my course book resource pack and students are meant to correct mistakes. The thing is, I ´d personally leave "the" before cold weather, but the key says "omit it".
Hmmm, this is a challenging sentence! I'm not even sure I really understand what it's trying to say, so in my opinion, both versions of the sentence could be correct depending on the intended meaning; in either case, for clarity I would also add a comma:

Using "the" before cold weather seems to emphasize the description of a specific period of bad weather during some time in the past:
I was exposed to the rain and the wind, and the cold weather tended to shorten battery life.

Without "the" it becomes a more general statement (i.e. cold weather with or without the rain and wind):
I was exposed to the rain and the wind, and (x) cold weather tended to shorten battery life.

(I do have a question that doesn't really affect my response but might make things clearer: Is the subject of the sentence supposed to be "it", referring perhaps to a car or a phone or something else with a battery...?)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
evarm, don't leave a space in I've and I'd.

Rover

evarm

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Thanks a lot for your clarifying answer. The sentence was copied literally. It didn't make much sense to me either, but now I know what to tell students.
Eva

Status
Not open for further replies.