Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
a good answer will discuss in detail the increasing threat of supplier power due to shortages in supply of global grain and maize which may have very serious consequences on the cost of biofuel and may ultimately impact on demand for biofuel cars.

what does "which" indicate in this sentence? it indicates the "threat of supplier power" or the "shortages in supply of global grain and maize"?

susiedqq

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A good answer will discuss in detail the increasing threat of supplier power due to shortages in supply of global grain and maize, which may have very serious consequences on the cost of biofuel and may ultimately impact on demand for biofuel cars.

"which" refers to the threat (of supplier power . . . maize)

riverkid

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
a good answer will discuss in detail the increasing threat of supplier power due to shortages in supply of global grain and maize which may have very serious consequences on the cost of biofuel and may ultimately impact on demand for biofuel cars.

what does "which" indicate in this sentence? it indicates the "threat of supplier power" or the "shortages in supply of global grain and maize"?

This is how I read it. Wadya figure now, Kat?

A good answer will discuss in detail the increasing threat of supplier power [that/which will be] due to shortages in supply of global grain and maize which may have very serious consequences on the cost of biofuel and may ultimately impact on demand for biofuel cars.

Anglika

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Other
As I read it, since the sentence refers to "cost of biofuel", the which is relating to "shortages in supply of global grain and maize".

susiedqq

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
answer / will discuss / threat
of supplier power
due to shortages
which / may have consequences
on cost
of biofuel
and
may impact / demand
for biofuel cars.

Anglika

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Other
Seems to me to depend on how you see the internal logic of the sentence. I can't see how the increasing threat of supplier power [which ought to be "to supplier power"] can have very serious consequences on the cost of biofuel.

kat2006

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
thank you all for answering my question. i tend to agree with Anglika because of the reason he gave.

Banned
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I also agree with both of Anglika's posts.

riverkid

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
As I read it, since the sentence refers to "cost of biofuel", the which is relating to "shortages in supply of global grain and maize".

===========
Original Sentence:

=================
Seems to me to depend on how you see the internal logic of the sentence. I can't see how the increasing threat of supplier power [which ought to be "to supplier power"] can have very serious consequences on the cost of biofuel.

Anglika, 2006,

What if 'supplier power' refers to the power that suppliers will hold over the market, the power they will exercise/hold over the cost of biofuels?

Last edited:

susiedqq

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I drove over the edge of the road, which caused a flat tire.

What is the function of "which" in this sentence?

Soup

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
Susiedqq, which represents the nominal form of the predicate:

Driving over the edge of the road caused a flat tire.

susiedqq

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you . . . and that is why I still think that

Serious consequences on the cost of biofuel that impact on-demand for biofule cars are threats.

riverkid

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher

What is the function of "which" in this sentence?

It is a whole sentence defining relative clause, Susie.

Thank you . . . and that is why I still think that

Serious consequences on the cost of biofuel that impact on-demand for biofule cars are threats.

I don't follow your drift.

Last edited:

Soup

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
Susiedqq, what is the author trying to express here?

Serious consequences on the cost of biofuel that impact on-demand for biofuel cars are threats.

Here's a similar context, one taken from an exam question:

"Discuss in detail the increasing threat of supplier power due to shortages in supply of global grain and maize which may have very serious consequences on the cost of biofuel and may ultimately impact on demand for biofuel cars."

Status
Not open for further replies.