Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
"This review describes how the United States will reduce the role and numbers of neclear weapons with the long-term goal of a nuclear-free world.”

I don't understand how to use the preposition"with".
In the dictionary there are many meanings.For example,it is written that "used when considering one fact in relation to another"in Oxford Advanced Learner's dictionary.In this sentence is this meaning "with" correct?Otheewise,which meaning in the dictionary is correct?Please explain how to use "with" here.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"This review describes how the United States will reduce the role and numbers of neclear weapons with the long-term goal of a nuclear-free world.”

I don't understand how to use the preposition"with".
In the dictionary there are many meanings.For example,it is written that "used when considering one fact in relation to another"in Oxford Advanced Learner's dictionary.In this sentence is this meaning "with" correct?Otheewise,which meaning in the dictionary is correct?Please explain how to use "with" here.

Yes, in this context it's correct. You do something with the aim/the goal/the objective of a specific outcome.

I'm going swimming every day with the goal of toning my muscles.
He will eat twelve chocolate bars every day with the aim of gaining some weight.
They're climbing Mount Everest as fast as they can with the goal of beating the world record.

sglowski

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"With" in this context can be understood as reducing an adjective clause modifying the whole sentence.

The woman who has a brown hat is sitting in the first row. (Modifies word)
The woman with a brown hat is sitting in the first row.

We are raising taxes, which has the goal of balancing the budget. (Modifies sentence)
We are raising taxes with the goal of balancing the budget.

yuyu0615

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you for detailed explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.