Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
'Absolutely' is currently very commonly used, especially in the media and by politicians as a general purpose intensifier to show sincerity. Does this erode the meaning or add to it?...

Read more...

Source: TDOL's Language Archive

C

CitySpeak

tdol said:
'Absolutely' is currently very commonly used, especially in the media and by politicians as a general purpose intensifier to show sincerity. Does this erode the meaning or add to it?...

Read more...

I don't believe there is anything wrong with it. It adds to the meaning. That use of "absolutely" has been around for a while now. Maybe it's more recent in BE? I think it's used in sales a lot.

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
tdol said:

Read more...

I think it's the one and the same meaning--the modify-ee has been omitted (...):

Absolutely (true), Absolutely (terrible), Absolutely (right), Absolutely (unfair).

:D

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's used in many strange ways, where the completely meaning doesn't reallt fit, IMO. It's a Westminster buzz word. ;-)

C

CitySpeak

Casiopea said:
tdol said:

Read more...

I think it's the one and the same meaning--the modify-ee has been omitted (...):

Absolutely (true), Absolutely (terrible), Absolutely (right), Absolutely (unfair).

:D

Come to think of it, that's how I see it as well. Good point.

:)

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's also commonly used in the phrase 'absolutely and totally', which might seem a bt of a tautology to some. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.