" acomodado"

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rosane

I´d love to know how to say acomodado in English, accommodated? complied? In the sense of a person who doesn´t worry to much about things, everything is ok, you know?

jctgf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Tuvalu
Current Location
Tuvalu
hi,
it's a brazilian term, isn't it?
regards

Snowcake

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
You mean something like "to live in harmony with xy"?

A person can be light-hearted or may have a sunny or cheerful temperament.

Snowcake

Last edited:

riverkid

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
I´d love to know how to say acomodado in English, accommodated? complied? In the sense of a person who doesn´t worry too much about things, everything is ok, you know?

You may mean an "easy going" person, Rosane.

He/She's really easy going.

Rosane

Member Type
English Teacher
Thank you very much, I don´t know if this is what I want, it´s a negative meaning of a person who is very "still", inactive, you know?

Rosane

Member Type
English Teacher
the thanks above was for angelika, but I thank all of you.....
and confirm that the word I want has a negative meaning, ok?

anreak

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
A couch potato is a very lazy person, an "acomodado". I don't know if it's more of an american expression or if it's "general english" though.

Rosane

Member Type
English Teacher
You mean something like "to live in harmony with xy"?

A person can be light-hearted or may have a sunny or cheerful temperament.

Snowcake

Did you get what I said? Sorry, but it´s my first time here, and I´m still a little lost....but It has a negative meaning, not easygoing or so.

Snowcake

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
If you're looking for a word with a negative connotation,

something like

naive, careless, heedless, thoughtless.

might work.

As far as I understand you you're looking for words to describe a person that doesn't want to see the bad sides of life.

You can say "He/She lives in a fool's paradise", meaning that this person is happy because he/she doesn't know or doesn't want to accept how bad a situation really is.

However, I suppose you are looking for a noun? Hmm ... you've got me there. I don't know.

Snowcake

Last edited:

jctgf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Tuvalu
Current Location
Tuvalu
hi,
have you ever tried "alienated"? "acquiescent"?
"acomodado" is a very popular Brazilian expression and you are looking for a popular english word as well, right?
regards

anreak

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Sorry for my mistake. What do you mean?

Acomodado generaly is used to describe a person who has a job and don't want to switch to another one because he/she doesn't want to learn something new, or simply because his/her lack of willingness to change.

stuartnz

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
New Zealand
I´d love to know how to say acomodado in English, accommodated? complied? In the sense of a person who doesn´t worry to much about things, everything is ok, you know?

I'm not a teacher, but if you are looking for a word with negative connotations, I'd suggest "apathetic" as a possibility. An apathetic person doesn't worry about things because he or she is too lazy to summon up the effort required to worry.

jctgf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Tuvalu
Current Location
Tuvalu
hi,
I may be wrong but I think she means a person who doesn't want to make changes in life just because they are used to things just the way they are.
they are used and they are not brave enough or motivated enough to promote changes in their own life.
it's the case of a couple in which the husband don't love her wife (or the other way round) anymore but is not willing to get separated because they are used to each other.
it's also the situation of an employee who doesn't like their job or can't stand their boss any longer but doesn't have the guts or motivation to change jobs or to face their boss when necessary.
someone who simply goes with the current.
wherever it takes. whatever it takes.

Rosane

Member Type
English Teacher
If you're looking for a word with a negative connotation,

something like

naive, careless, heedless, thoughtless.

might work.

As far as I understand you you're looking for words to describe a person that doesn't want to see the bad sides of life.

You can say "He/She lives in a fool's paradise", meaning that this person is happy because he/she doesn't know or doesn't want to accept how bad a situation really is.

However, I suppose you are looking for a noun? Hmm ... you've got me there. I don't know.

Snowcake

Thank you very much !
My problem is that I am not a " fool in paradise", however, sometimes I would like to be, because I am so thorough and worried about everything, but that´s it ! Take care !

Rosane

Member Type
English Teacher
hi,
have you ever tried "alienated"? "acquiescent"?
"acomodado" is a very popular Brazilian expression and you are looking for a popular english word as well, right?
regards

Are you Brazilian? I mean: Brasilian? Thank you so much, this was perfect !
I loved this adjective, that´s what I want !

Rosane

Member Type
English Teacher
Sorry for my mistake. What do you mean?

Acomodado generaly is used to describe a person who has a job and don't want to switch to another one because he/she doesn't want to learn something new, or simply because his/her lack of willingness to change.

Now, that´s it ! Thank you so much ! This site is so good ! I loved it! Very helpful with many good people, I´m impressed !

stuartnz

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
New Zealand
Are you Brazilian? I mean: Brasilian? Thank you so much, this was perfect !
I loved this adjective, that´s what I want !

Just a note here - "alienated" and "acquiescent" mean VERY different things in English. It sounds like "acquiescent" might be the one you're happy with, but I would advise against using "alienated" in this context.

Status
Not open for further replies.