[General] Across the Middle East, young Muslims belong to a generation living in countries that

tahasozgen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Dear friends of usingenglish.com

There is a sentence that I can not understand.

"Across the Middle East, young Muslims belong to a generation living in countries that have stripped the very notion of cizitenship of meaning."

I understand Across the Middle East, young Muslims belong to a generation living in countries that , however, I can not understand the rest. What is its meaning?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Please tell us the source and author of your quote.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]Dear friends of usingenglish.com[/STRIKE] Hello/Hi.

There is a sentence that I [STRIKE]can not[/STRIKE] cannot understand.

"Across the Middle East, young Muslims belong to a generation living in countries that have stripped the very notion of cizitenship of meaning."

I understand Across the Middle East, young Muslims belong to a generation living in countries that. However, I [STRIKE]can not[/STRIKE] cannot understand the rest. What is its meaning?

While we wait for you to give us the source and author of the text, please note my corrections above.

tahasozgen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Source is the New York Times (Newspaper)
Author is Azadeh Moavenijan.
Article is "The Lingering Dream of an Islamic State".

Across the Middle East, young Muslims belong to a generation living in countries that have stripped the very notion of citizenship of meaning. There’s no work to be had, a majority cannot afford to get married before 40, the police terrorize young people for bribes, and when they try to seek some redress in Islam-based activism, state security punishes them.

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is a sentence that I can not understand.

"Across the Middle East, young Muslims belong to a generation living in countries that have stripped the very notion of citizenship [STRIKE]cizitenship[/STRIKE] of meaning."
The story is about the Middle East. It says that countries in that region have made citizenship meaningless. A generation of Muslims, described as "young", lives in those countries.

The article should go on to explain why the author thinks that Middle-Eastern countries have deprived their inhabitants of meaningful citizenship. I haven't read it, so I don't know.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If it helps, the verb structure used here is

• to strip something of meaning

which means to cause something to lose its meaning.

(In this case, 'something' is the notion of citizenship.)