adaptogenic

Status
Not open for further replies.

whl626

Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2003
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I wonder if anyone can help me find this word ? I tried many medical dictionaries but to no avail :(. In fact, I know the meaning of this word by a good guess, the thing is I need a specific explanation on it.

Thanks
 

Red5

Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
"modern herbalists say adaptogenic herbs are plants
with properties that exert a normalizing influence on the body."
http://www.chiro.org/nutrition/DISCONTINUED/Adaptogenic_Herbs.shtml

"An adaptogenic substance is one that demonstrates a nonspecific enhancement of the body's ability to resist a stressor. The term was first introduced in 1947 by Russian scientist N.V. Lazarev to describe the unique action of a material claimed to increase nonspecific resistance of an organism to an adverse influence. In 1958, I.I. Brekhman, a Russian holistic medical doctor, and his colleague I.V. Dardymov, established the following definition of an adaptogen: It "must be innocuous and cause minimal disorders in the physiological functions of an organism, it must have a nonspecific action, and it usually has a normalizing action irrespective of the direction of the pathological state."1"
http://www.chiro.org/nutrition/ginseng.shtml
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
whl626 said:
I wonder if anyone can help me find this word ? I tried many medical dictionaries but to no avail :(. In fact, I know the meaning of this word by a good guess, the thing is I need a specific explanation on it.

Thanks

May I make a suggestion?

Say: explanation of it.

:)
 

whl626

Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2003
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Red5 said:
"modern herbalists say adaptogenic herbs are plants
with properties that exert a normalizing influence on the body."
http://www.chiro.org/nutrition/DISCONTINUED/Adaptogenic_Herbs.shtml

"An adaptogenic substance is one that demonstrates a nonspecific enhancement of the body's ability to resist a stressor. The term was first introduced in 1947 by Russian scientist N.V. Lazarev to describe the unique action of a material claimed to increase nonspecific resistance of an organism to an adverse influence. In 1958, I.I. Brekhman, a Russian holistic medical doctor, and his colleague I.V. Dardymov, established the following definition of an adaptogen: It "must be innocuous and cause minimal disorders in the physiological functions of an organism, it must have a nonspecific action, and it usually has a normalizing action irrespective of the direction of the pathological state."1"
http://www.chiro.org/nutrition/ginseng.shtml

Thanks Red :) You are something :). I checked around 10 med dic but to my surprise there is no such word :shock: . The meaning from your post is exactly what I am thinking of.
 

whl626

Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2003
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
RonBee said:
whl626 said:
I wonder if anyone can help me find this word ? I tried many medical dictionaries but to no avail :(. In fact, I know the meaning of this word by a good guess, the thing is I need a specific explanation on it.

Thanks

May I make a suggestion?

Say: explanation of it.

:)

Ron, if we are the ones who give the meaning to it. Can we use ' on ' ? Huh, I already said ' to ' :)
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's usage more than grammar.

  • From a Google search:

    "explanation of" = 3,560,000
    "explanation on" = 82,300

:)
 

Red5

Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top