add to and add in

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiang

Key Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2003
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear teachers,

Please read the following sentence:

How come a simple meal like this costs so much?
We have ______ in your bill the cost of the cup you broke.
a. included b. added
The key is 'a' without doubt. My question concerns with 'b'.

I can rewrite the sentence this way 'We have added the cost of the cup you broke to your bill'. This means the cost of the meal is fixed in the first place. The cost of the cup you broke is additional amount of money. Am I right?

If I chose 'b' that means the cost of the cup was included in the original
bill in the first place, which doesn't make sense. Am I right?

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
jiang said:
Dear teachers,

Please read the following sentence:

How come a simple meal like this costs so much?
We have ______ in your bill the cost of the cup you broke.
a. included b. added
The key is 'a' without doubt. My question concerns with 'b'.

I can rewrite the sentence this way 'We have added the cost of the cup you broke to your bill'. This means the cost of the meal is fixed in the first place. The cost of the cup you broke is additional amount of money. Am I right?

Yes, you are correct. [The cost of the cup you broke is an additional amount of money.]

If I chose 'b' that means the cost of the cup was included in the original
bill in the first place, which doesn't make sense. Am I right?

[/quote]

You can't choose "b" because of the "in your bill". You could use "added" if you take those three words out, or you could use "added to". :wink:
 

jiang

Key Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2003
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
:D & :?

Dear Mike,
I understood most of your explanations. What I don't quite understand is 'add in'. I read a sentence in Longman dictionary of contemporary English: add sth in: to include something with something else: By the time we added in the cost of the drinks the bill was over pounds( pound should have been the symbol but I there isn't the symbol on my keyboard). What occurred to me is that there must be a difference between 'add to' and 'add in' here. So could you please kindly explain the meaning of the sentence in the dictionary?

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
MikeNewYork said:
jiang said:
Dear teachers,

Please read the following sentence:

How come a simple meal like this costs so much?
We have ______ in your bill the cost of the cup you broke.
a. included b. added
The key is 'a' without doubt. My question concerns with 'b'.

I can rewrite the sentence this way 'We have added the cost of the cup you broke to your bill'. This means the cost of the meal is fixed in the first place. The cost of the cup you broke is additional amount of money. Am I right?

Yes, you are correct. [The cost of the cup you broke is an additional amount of money.]

If I chose 'b' that means the cost of the cup was included in the original
bill in the first place, which doesn't make sense. Am I right?

You can't choose "b" because of the "in your bill". You could use "added" if you take those three words out, or you could use "added to". :wink:[/quote]
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
'Add in' has the idea of something extra to me; something that wouldn't normally be included. ;-)
 

jiang

Key Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2003
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
:? :?

How come a simple meal like this costs so much?
We have ______ in your bill the cost of the cup you broke.
a. included b. added


Do you mean 'b' is correct? Could you please explain it to me? I am really confused this time.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang



tdol said:
'Add in' has the idea of something extra to me; something that wouldn't normally be included. ;-)
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
jiang said:
:D & :?

Dear Mike,
I understood most of your explanations. What I don't quite understand is 'add in'. I read a sentence in Longman dictionary of contemporary English: add sth in: to include something with something else: By the time we added in the cost of the drinks the bill was over pounds( pound should have been the symbol but I there isn't the symbol on my keyboard). What occurred to me is that there must be a difference between 'add to' and 'add in' here. So could you please kindly explain the meaning of the sentence in the dictionary? [/quoted]

Yes, you can use "added in" in that way. You are "adding in" an item or an ingredient. You are not adding in the bill. Do you see the difference.

To make a cake you start with flour. You add in eggs, milk, etc. You don't add in the cake.
 

jiang

Key Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2003
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
:)
Dear Mike,

I understand the difference better. However, there is still something that I don't understand. I hope my asking you further doesn't offend you.

My question is what's the difference between 'add in the cost' and 'add in the bill'?

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
MikeNewYork said:
jiang said:
:D & :?

Dear Mike,
I understood most of your explanations. What I don't quite understand is 'add in'. I read a sentence in Longman dictionary of contemporary English: add sth in: to include something with something else: By the time we added in the cost of the drinks the bill was over pounds( pound should have been the symbol but I there isn't the symbol on my keyboard). What occurred to me is that there must be a difference between 'add to' and 'add in' here. So could you please kindly explain the meaning of the sentence in the dictionary? [/quoted]

Yes, you can use "added in" in that way. You are "adding in" an item or an ingredient. You are not adding in the bill. Do you see the difference.

To make a cake you start with flour. You add in eggs, milk, etc. You don't add in the cake.
 

jiang

Key Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2003
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
:oops:
Dear Mike,

I didn't explain the differece between 'the cost' and 'the bill' just now because I was afraid I might make mistakes. But I should have tried even if my explanation is not correct.

'cost' is like gredient, that is , you can add bit by bit. 'Bill' is the result of series of spendings. It is a whole thing which is inseperable. Am I right?

Sorry I waste your time by replying twice.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
MikeNewYork said:
jiang said:
:D & :?

Dear Mike,
I understood most of your explanations. What I don't quite understand is 'add in'. I read a sentence in Longman dictionary of contemporary English: add sth in: to include something with something else: By the time we added in the cost of the drinks the bill was over pounds( pound should have been the symbol but I there isn't the symbol on my keyboard). What occurred to me is that there must be a difference between 'add to' and 'add in' here. So could you please kindly explain the meaning of the sentence in the dictionary? [/quoted]

Yes, you can use "added in" in that way. You are "adding in" an item or an ingredient. You are not adding in the bill. Do you see the difference.

To make a cake you start with flour. You add in eggs, milk, etc. You don't add in the cake.
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
jiang said:
:oops:
Dear Mike,

I didn't explain the differece between 'the cost' and 'the bill' just now because I was afraid I might make mistakes. But I should have tried even if my explanation is not correct.

'cost' is like gredient, that is , you can add bit by bit. 'Bill' is the result of series of spendings. It is a whole thing which is inseperable. Am I right?

Sorry I waste your time by replying twice.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Please don't apologize. I am very proud of you. Don't be afraid to make mistakes here. That is why we are here.

You are quite correct. The "bill" is the total, the end result. You can add in items and items can be added to it. But you can't add in the bill.

If you have cake batter, you can add in ingredients and you can add things to the batter, but you can't add in the batter. :wink:
 

jiang

Key Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2003
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
:D
Dear Mike,

Thank you very much for your encouragement and kindness. Now I understand it perfectly.

:( The Internet station had broken for two days before it was fixed today so I wasn't able to reply.


Jiang

MikeNewYork said:
jiang said:
:oops:
Dear Mike,

I didn't explain the differece between 'the cost' and 'the bill' just now because I was afraid I might make mistakes. But I should have tried even if my explanation is not correct.

'cost' is like gredient, that is , you can add bit by bit. 'Bill' is the result of series of spendings. It is a whole thing which is inseperable. Am I right?

Sorry I waste your time by replying twice.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Please don't apologize. I am very proud of you. Don't be afraid to make mistakes here. That is why we are here.

You are quite correct. The "bill" is the total, the end result. You can add in items and items can be added to it. But you can't add in the bill.

If you have cake batter, you can add in ingredients and you can add things to the batter, but you can't add in the batter. :wink:
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
jiang said:
:D
Dear Mike,

Thank you very much for your encouragement and kindness. Now I understand it perfectly.

:( The Internet station had broken for two days before it was fixed today so I wasn't able to reply.


Jiang

You're very welcome, Jiang. I'm glad your Internet access is back up and running. :wink:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top