Adding -s

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2004
Are these correct? What do they mean?

1. He lives on the streets. (How can you live on more then on street? Or does this mean he lives on different streets from time to time? How can you tell what does sentence mean?
2. He lives on the street.
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
jack said:
Are these correct? What do they mean?

1. He lives on the streets. (How can you live on more then on street? Or does this mean he lives on different streets from time to time? How can you tell what does sentence mean?
2. He lives on the street.

They mean the same thing. S/he doesn't live in a home. S/he is homeless. 'streets', not one specific street, this street and that street.
 

jack

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2004
Are these correct? What do these mean?

1. Why don't you guys hold hands. (Why is 'hands' plural? Don't you hold 'a hand'?)
2. Why don't you guys hold hand.

3. Why don't you guys hold hands?
4. Why don't you guys hold hand?

What's the difference in meaing between the statement (#1) and the question (#3)? Does the statement mean that one is telling them to hold hands? And does the question mean that one is asking about why they are not holding hands?
 
Last edited:

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
jack said:
Are these correct? What do these mean?

1. Why don't you guys hold hands. (Why is 'hands' plural? Don't you hold 'a hand'?)
2. Why don't you guys hold hand.

3. Why don't you guys hold hands?
4. Why don't you guys hold hand?

What's the difference in meaing between the statement (#1) and the question (#3)? Does the statement mean that one is telling them to hold hands? And does the question mean that one is asking about why they are not holding hands?
They're all questions to me, sorry. :oops:

2. and 4. are ungrammatical.

One hand belongs to you, and one hand belongs to the other person, which makes two 'hands' in total.
 

jack

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2004
Thanks.

One hand belongs to you, and one hand belongs to the other person, which makes two 'hands' in total.
One hand belongs to you, and one hand belongs to the other person, which makes two 'hands' in total. (How come you used 'the'? Why not 'an'? How did you know which one to use?)
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
Personally, I prefer sentence 1. I'm not sure if 2. is correct or not.

persons refers to the individuals within the group--it expresses that the group is made up of individuals, whereas people refers to the group as a whole--it expresses a collective.
 

jack

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2004
What do these mean?

1. We have a lot of computer mice.
2. We have a lot of computer mouses.
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
jack said:
What do these mean?

1. We have a lot of computer mice.
2. We have a lot of computer mouses.
Both are fine, but 2. is technically more correct.

There are two words 'mouse'. One refers to a rodent, the other, computer hardware. The latter is a new word, so adding -es is fine.

We have one computer mouse.
We have two computer mouses.

'mice' is the plural of the noun 'mouse', meaning rodent. Adopting 'mice' to refer to computer hardware is fine because it follows the rules of the English language, not to mention ushers in a word that sounds kind of cool.:cool:
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
jack said:
Thanks. What do you mean by 'ushers'?
An usher is a person who works at a theatre and whose job it is to show people to their seats. S/he ushers them (brings them) into the theatre. ;-)
 

jack

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2004
Thanks.

1. You can talk to our technicians if you have any problems. (Does this mean you can talk to any one of our technicians or does it mean you can talk to many teachnicians at a time? How do you know what it means?)
2. You can talk to our technician if you have any problems. (Does this mean you can talk to one technician if you have any problems? Or Does it mean you can talk to one technician at a time?)
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
1. You can talk to our technicians.
=> Plural; We have many technicians, and you can talk to whomever you want, be that just one or two or more.

2. You can talk to our technician.
=> Singular; We have only one technician.

:x-mas:
 

jack

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2004
Thanks.
1. You can talk to our technicians. (How come this doesn't mean you can talk to many technicians at a time? How do you know if it doesn't mean that?)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top