adequacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

1. Is any of these sentences acceptable. Which one(s)?
" I go to work by walk." "I go to work walking"

2. When should I use "sore" and "-ache". Is it possible to use both with some parts of the body? Ex: headache and sore head. Which parts?

3. The sentence: "She's going to go on a date tonight." is used to mean that the girl is going out with her boyfriend, or this is not implicit in the sentence?

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
lostudent said:
1. Is any of these sentences acceptable. Which one(s)?
" I go to work by walk." "I go to work walking"

Neither of those sentences is idiomatic English. We would generally say I walk to work.

lostudent said:
2. When should I use "sore" and "-ache". Is it possible to use both with some parts of the body? Ex: headache and sore head. Which parts?

Any part of the body can ache or be sore, but only certain parts are combined with ache to create descriptive nouns: headache, backache, stomache. (A sorehead is somebody with a sour disposition.)

lostudent said:
3. The sentence: "She's going to go on a date tonight." is used to mean that the girl is going out with her boyfriend, or this is not implicit in the sentence?

"She's going to go on a date tonight" certainly says that she is going out with a boy. Whether it means she is going out with a particular boy depends on the circumstances. It could be something that is understood. (Don't put a period in the middle of a sentence.)

:)

dduck

RonBee said:
Any part of the body can ache or be sore, but only certain parts are combined with ache to create descriptive nouns: headache, backache, stomache[sic]. (A sorehead is somebody with a sour disposition.)

There are five common colocations: headache, backache, stomachache, toothache, and heartache.

Iain

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
And earache. Heartache is an emotional complaint rather than medical. ;-)

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
dduck said:
RonBee said:
Any part of the body can ache or be sore, but only certain parts are combined with ache to create descriptive nouns: headache, backache, stomache[sic]. (A sorehead is somebody with a sour disposition.)

There are five common colocations: headache, backache, stomachache, toothache, and heartache.

Well, I got three out of five (if you count stomache). I don't suppose I can get credit for coining a new word, eh?

(I think the word is spelled collocations.)

Thanks. :)

:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.