Advanced Text Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

kko1960

Member Type
Academic
Hi,

I have tried using the Advanced Text Analysyis Tool on a long piece of text (about 14,000 words) - the tool seems to be cutting off the tail end of the text when I do a View Text - I know that the basic tool only goes up to 10,000 words - but is there a limitation on the advanced tool as well? Or is there a problem with View Text?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Kim (kko1960)

A.Russell

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Thailand
I think it has a limit of 100,000 characters. Perhaps you could ask for the limit to be raised, but I think it is that way so as not to overload the server.

Red5

Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hi Kim,

Thank you for your observation about the text analyser. We do impose a restriction on the text length of 100,000 characters, as Alex says. However, this is enforced when you first submit the text.

I've done a little background checking into this issue as a result and have found that there seems to be a limitation outside our control. We use a TEXTAREA to display the original text on the 'View Text' page, and "in practice some browsers limit the contents of a TEXTAREA to 32 or 64 kilobytes." (see TEXTAREA - Multi-line Text Input).

I will look into this further, but as far as I can see so far, your text is being analysed in full but the display of the text in the 'View Text' page is being truncated.

I hope this helps. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.