Adverbial phrase

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmo

Is the following correct?

Havng left the country in 1964 when the school was being established, I did not know Ling Tung is such a big university having so many departments.

Thanks.

BMO

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
bmo said:
Is the following correct?

Havng left the country in 1964 when the school was being established, I did not know Ling Tung is such a big university having so many departments.

Thanks.

BMO

Having left the country in 1964, just as Ling Tung University was being established, at the time, I wasn't aware that it was such a big university with so many departements.

bmo

Casiopea said:
at the time, I wasn't .

1. Is my original sentence grammatically correct?

2. I wanted to say that I havn't heard of such a university back home since I left the country so early. Can I say:

Having left the country in 1964, just as Ling Tung University was being established, I am not aware that it is such a big university with so many departements.

Thanks.

BMO

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other

Sorry. It was ungrammatical. :(

2. I wanted to say that I havn't heard of such a university back home since I left the country so early. Can I say:

Having left the country in 1964, just as Ling Tung University was being established, I am not aware that it is such a big university with so many departments.

But, you are aware now, at this moment, so I'd use "I wasn't aware that is it... / I didn't know that it is.... :D

bmo

Okay, last try:

Having left the country in 1964, just as Ling Tung University was being established, I did not know that it is such a big university with so many departments.

Thanks.

BMO

Ulli

bmo said:
Casiopea said:

Sorry. It was ungrammatical. :(

What's wrong?

Hi bmo,

the tense in the second part of the sentence isn't correct:

Having left the country in 1964, just as Ling Tung University was being established, I did not know that it is such a big university with so many departments.

I'll try:

Having left the country in 1964, just as Ling Tung University had been established, I didn't know that it was such a big university with so many departments.

Please let somebody else check this :wink: :idea:

Ulli

Ulli

Hi Francois,

super, :D thx for your feedback. I didn't copy, I saw it later. :wink:

Ulli

bmo

This is correct now:

Having left the country in 1964 when Ling-Tung University was being established, I didn't know it was such a big university with so many departments.

K

king1130

bmo said:
Casiopea said:
at the time, I wasn't .

Having left the country in 1964, just as Ling Tung University was being established, I am not aware that it is such a big university with so many departements.

Thanks.
haha
BMO

Status
Not open for further replies.