Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I am wondering if my sentences are grammatically correct.

After Bob had returned from the war in Iraq, he was never the same. His marriage fell apart, he became homeless and heavy drinker. If it had not been for his old friend Marco, who let him stay in his home, he would have probably lost his life.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am wondering if my sentences are grammatically correct.

After Bob [STRIKE]had[/STRIKE] returned from the war in Iraq, he was never the same again. His marriage fell apart, he became homeless and [STRIKE]heavy[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]drinker[/STRIKE] started drinking heavily. If it [STRIKE]had[/STRIKE] were not [STRIKE]been[/STRIKE] for his old friend Marco, who let him stay in his home, he would [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] probably [STRIKE]lost his life[/STRIKE] be dead [by] now.

See above.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Bob was never the same after he returned from the war in Iraq. This saves a word but more importantly, it puts the subject of the story, Bob, at the beginning and removes the comma that interrupted the flow in the original version.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
GoesStation,

Thank you again. I really like your correction of the above sentence. Your sentence flows smoothly.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you again. I really like your correction of the above sentence. Your sentence flows smoothly.
You're welcome. Your little narratives often start with a clause which demands a comma. This makes sentences "heavier", less smooth. I recognize this because my first drafts often contain a lot of examples of this construction. I can't tell you how many times I've rearranged a heavy sentence and vastly preferred the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.