After completing our schooling some of my friends got the chance to go to regular col

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1) After completing our schooling some of my friends got the chance to go to regular colleges whereas others started graduating from SOL (it means school of open learning).

2) After completing our schooling some of my friends got the chance to go to regular colleges whereas others started trying for a degree from SOL (it means school of open learning).

Please check my sentences.

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1) After completing our schooling some of my friends got the chance to go to regular colleges whereas others started graduating from SOL (it means school of open learning). :cross:

2) After completing our schooling some of my friends got the chance to go to regular colleges whereas others started trying for a degree from [strike]SOL (it means[/strike] the School of Open Learning[strike])[/strike]. :tick:
The part I underlined in number 1 does not mean what you think it means. :)

Last edited:

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
The part I underlined in number 1 does not mean what you think it means. :)

"Started trying for a degree" this is what I should have used. This is the only option available. Am I correct?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
We don't normally 'try for a degree' in BrE We simply go to university. It is generally assumed that, if we go to university, we hope to leave with a degree.

But how about SOL or distant learning? If we are talking about SOL or distant learning that means you are talking about a person who doesn't go to an university. He/she is trying for a degree without going to any university.

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But how about SOL or distant learning? If we are talking about SOL or distant learning that means you are talking about a person who doesn't go to a [not "an"] university. He/she is trying for a degree without going to any university.
Such a person is presumably enrolled in the online university. If so, they are trying to earn a degree.

The first syllable in "university" is pronounced like you. Like ​European, we use a before it.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Such a person is presumably enrolled in the online university. If so, they are trying to earn a degree.

The first syllable in "university" is pronounced like you. Like ​European, we use a before it.

Can I say "In the year 2000 Tom was trying to earn a degree from SOL whereas his brother was going to Oxford university to get a degree in BSC"?

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can I say "In the year 2000 Tom was trying to earn a degree from SOL whereas his brother was going to Oxford university to get a degree in BSC"?

Yes, mostly. Put a comma after 2000. His brother could get a Bachelor of Science degree, abbreviated BS. If that's the degree you're talking about, he can't get a degree in it. You get a degree in the area you specialize in; for example, a BS in biology.

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan

I would write it like this:

In the year 2000, Tom was trying to earn a degree from SOL, whereas his brother was going to Oxford University to get a BSc degree.

(Or does "BSC" stand for the name of a field, like Binary Synchronous Communications? If it is, you should write it out in full the first time it is mentioned.)

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I would write it like this:

(Or does "BSC" stand for the name of a field, like Binary Synchronous Communications? If it is, you should write it out in full the first time it is mentioned.)

No, it means bachelor of science.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
As Piscean already pointed out, the correct abbreviation is BSc.