Student or Learner
Native Language
Catalan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
In the sentence:

He's a true melancholic young man with all that means accepting melancholy (maybe being a melancholic one) in a world melancholy has been expelled from.

My problem is in "all that" or "all what"

Which one is the right one?

Thanks

Last edited:

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If a person is melancholic, that person will tend to be sad, lack energy, have little ambition, not careful of personal appearance, and generally quite. These descriptions are part of "all that" a melancholic person is like.

Hmm:?: I understand neither the original nor your correction. Punctuation would help (but unfortunately it helps identify the sentence as meaningless!) The man is melancholic, with all that implies [colon or dash or comma or some word or words to introduce the list].

b

Bushwhacker

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Catalan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
If a person is melancholic, that person will tend to be sad, lack energy, have little ambition, not careful of personal appearance, and generally quite. These descriptions are part of "all that" a melancholic person is like.

How about this sentence with changes:

He's a true melancholic young man with all that being a melancholic one means in a world melancholy has been expelled from.

Does it make sense? The sentence is saying that being a melancholic one,a true melancholic one, in this world is not easy because melancholy has been expelled from it. So being a melancholic man, with all that implies, is like being a rara avis, someone who doesn't fit the environment.

Thanks

Last edited:

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How about this sentence with changes:

He's a true melancholic young man with all that being a melancholic one means in a world melancholy has been expelled from.

Does it make sense? The sentence is saying that being a melancholic one,a true melancholic one, in this world is not easy because melancholy has been expelled from it. So being a melancholic man, with all that implies, is like being a rara avis, someone who doesn't fit the environment.

Thanks

He's a true melancholic, with all that that implies, in a world where melancholy
[has no hold]
[is denied][has lost] its [allure][lustre][power to seduce][standing][romance]

He's a true melancholic, with all that that implies, in a world that denies melancholy its [allure][lustre][power to seduce][standing][romance]

A few possibilities, but I wasn't 100% sure what you meant by 'expelled' so I could be completely off the ball with my suggestions. Also, I'm somewhat frustrated with 'all that that implies' - it lazily assumes I know what melancholy implies, but I don't. If you're going to write that, tell me what melancholy implies; if you're not going to tell me, don't write it.

Bushwhacker

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Catalan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
He's a true melancholic, with all that that implies, in a world where melancholy
[has no hold]
[is denied][has lost] its [allure][lustre][power to seduce][standing][romance]

He's a true melancholic, with all that that implies, in a world that denies melancholy its [allure][lustre][power to seduce][standing][romance]

A few possibilities, but I wasn't 100% sure what you meant by 'expelled' so I could be completely off the ball with my suggestions. Also, I'm somewhat frustrated with 'all that that implies' - it lazily assumes I know what melancholy implies, but I don't. If you're going to write that, tell me what melancholy implies; if you're not going to tell me, don't write it.

expell is for kick out, in a metaphorical way: putting it out of this world, forgetting melancholy, ignoring what it is.
I infer "all that that implies" means accepting being a mellancholic man in a world in which he will be seen as a "rara avis".

Hope this help. I know it is not a clear sentence but I'm doing my best from a sentence in Spanish which is also not clear.

Thank You

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
expell is for kick out, in a metaphorical way: putting it out of this world, forgetting melancholy, ignoring what it is.
I infer "all that that implies" means accepting being a mellancholic man in a world in which he will be seen as a "rara avis".

Hope this help. I know it is not a clear sentence but I'm doing my best from a sentence in Spanish which is also not clear.

Thank You

Ah, how about '... in a world that [has turned its back on melancholy][denies melancholy its place]?

And no 'in all that that implies' means 'in all ways [that a person is melancholic]' - see Gillnetter's response above for ways in which a person is melancholic

Status
Not open for further replies.