All vs. Every

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

petercal

Guest
Hello,

When can we use All and when to use Every? Quite confused.

Thanks,
Peter
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is often a difference in form more than in meaning. For example, all of us means the same thing as every one of us.

All can be a noun all by itself, whereas every cannot. Examples:
  • All is well.
    All are here.
    All have arrived.
    All are tucked in their beds.
 
P

petercal

Guest
Thanks RonBee,

So this means "All students should follow university rules." is the same as "Every student should follow university rules." Same in meaning and writer's intention, right?

Peter

RonBee said:
It is often a difference in form more than in meaning. For example, all of us means the same thing as every one of us.

All can be a noun all by itself, whereas every cannot. Examples:
  • All is well.
    All are here.
    All have arrived.
    All are tucked in their beds.
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
petercal said:
Thanks RonBee,

So this means "All students should follow university rules." is the same as "Every student should follow university rules." Same in meaning and writer's intention, right?

Yes. Exactly. :D

Welcome to our friendly forum.

:hi:
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
There are cases when 'all' is inappropriate- 'every day', etc. ;-)
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
All the time and every day are practically synonymous. You can almost always use all every place you would use every.

:)
 
P

petercal

Guest
Thank You

Thank you RonBee and Tdol for the advices and warm welcome. I'm glad to have found this friendly and helpful forum.

All the best. :D
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You're welcome. I wouild rcomend using 'advice' as an uncountable noun, without a plural, though. ;-)
 
P

petercal

Guest
Thanks Again

Thanks again. :lol:


tdol said:
You're welcome. I wouild rcomend using 'advice' as an uncountable noun, without a plural, though. ;-)
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'd also spell it 'recommend', but my typing is dreadful. ;-)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top