Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear teachers,

There is a sentence from the Economist magazine that I do not quite understand. Could you please help me understand its meaning. It is from article:
Malaysia’s general election Tawdry victory.

"It is further evidence of how the electoral system is skewed in Barisan’s favour, allowing it to stack up seats in the rural Malay heartlands with far fewer voters than Pakatan needs to win seats in more urban areas." The latter part of the sentence I do not fully understand. Please help. thank you.

a_vee

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Costa Rica
Dear teachers,

There is a sentence from the Economist magazine that I do not quite understand. Could you please help me understand its meaning. It is from article:
Malaysia’s general election Tawdry victory.

"It is further evidence of how the electoral system is skewed in Barisan’s favour, allowing it to stack up seats in the rural Malay heartlands with far fewer voters than Pakatan needs to win seats in more urban areas." The latter part of the sentence I do not fully understand. Please help. thank you.

It sounds like the "electoral system" is setup in an unfair way, so that they can get lots of tiny communities to elect officials that think like "Barisan". If each community gets a representative, the small communities are picking officials that help "Barisan" , but if you really count the people "Patakan" is getting more real support. That's what I think is happening. Let me know if this is clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.