already / yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dany

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2004
Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello everyone,

when I have to use "already", and when "yet" ?


Thanks in advance,
Dany :D
 

Steven D

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2004
Member Type
English Teacher
Dany said:
Hello everyone,

when I have to use "already", and when "yet" ?


Thanks in advance,
Dany :D


Hi Dany,

How are you?

>I would be very glad, if you improve my mistakes.<

I wouldn't say "improve my mistakes" here. This is really saying "make my mistakes better". I don't think you want your mistakes to be better.

I would say this: I would be very glad if you corrected my mistakes.

or: I would be very glad if you could correct my errors. (mistakes)

It's possible, however, to make improvements in writing that doesn't have any mistakes to begin with.


correction: When do I have to use "already" and when do I have to use "yet". - or: How do we use "already" and "yet"?

The auxiliary "do" is important.

Use "yet" for negative statements and questions.

Use "already" for positive statements and questions.

Have you gone shopping yet? No, I haven't gone shopping yet.

Have you already gone shopping? Yes, I've already gone shopping.

In Amercan English "already" and "yet" are sometimes used with the simple past. However, if you're doing any sort of formal writing, then it's best to use "already" and "yet" with the present perfect or past perfect.

The ordinary and simple idea that my example sentences communicate allow for the simple past to be used in American English.

Did you go shopping yet? Yes, I already went shopping.

Did you do that yet? Yes, I already did that. No, I didn't do that yet.

Have you done that yet? Yes, I've already done that.

Have you already done that? No, I haven't done that yet.
 

Dany

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2004
Member Type
Student or Learner
X Mode said:
Dany said:
Hello everyone,

when I have to use "already", and when "yet" ?


Thanks in advance,
Dany :D


Hi Dany,

How are you?

>I would be very glad, if you improve my mistakes.<

I wouldn't say "improve my mistakes" here. This is really saying "make my mistakes better". I don't think you want your mistakes to be better.

I would say this: I would be very glad if you corrected my mistakes.

or: I would be very glad if you could correct my errors. (mistakes)

It's possible, however, to make improvements in writing that doesn't have any mistakes to begin with.


correction: When do I have to use "already" and when do I have to use "yet". - or: How do we use "already" and "yet"?

The auxiliary "do" is important.

Use "yet" for negative statements and questions.

Use "already" for positive statements and questions.

Have you gone shopping yet? No, I haven't gone shopping yet.

Have you already gone shopping? Yes, I've already gone shopping.

In Amercan English "already" and "yet" are sometimes used with the simple past. However, if you're doing any sort of formal writing, then it's best to use "already" and "yet" with the present perfect or past perfect.

The ordinary and simple idea that my example sentences communicate allow for the simple past to be used in American English.

Did you go shopping yet? Yes, I already went shopping.

Did you do that yet? Yes, I already did that. No, I didn't do that yet.

Have you done that yet? Yes, I've already done that.

Have you already done that? No, I haven't done that yet.


Thanks for your help and corrections :D
 

Steven D

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2004
Member Type
English Teacher
The ordinary and simple idea that my example sentences communicate allow for the simple past to be used in my American English. <<


That should not be "my American English".

It should be:

The ordinary and simple idea that my example sentences communicate allow for the simple past to be used in American English.

I did not intend to type "my American English", just "American English".
 

Steven D

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2004
Member Type
English Teacher
Dany said:
X Mode said:
Dany said:
Hello everyone,

when I have to use "already", and when "yet" ?


Thanks in advance,
Dany :D


Hi Dany,

How are you?

>I would be very glad, if you improve my mistakes.<

I wouldn't say "improve my mistakes" here. This is really saying "make my mistakes better". I don't think you want your mistakes to be better.

I would say this: I would be very glad if you corrected my mistakes.

or: I would be very glad if you could correct my errors. (mistakes)

It's possible, however, to make improvements in writing that doesn't have any mistakes to begin with.


correction: When do I have to use "already" and when do I have to use "yet". - or: How do we use "already" and "yet"?

The auxiliary "do" is important.

Use "yet" for negative statements and questions.

Use "already" for positive statements and questions.

Have you gone shopping yet? No, I haven't gone shopping yet.

Have you already gone shopping? Yes, I've already gone shopping.

In Amercan English "already" and "yet" are sometimes used with the simple past. However, if you're doing any sort of formal writing, then it's best to use "already" and "yet" with the present perfect or past perfect.

The ordinary and simple idea that my example sentences communicate allow for the simple past to be used in American English.

Did you go shopping yet? Yes, I already went shopping.

Did you do that yet? Yes, I already did that. No, I didn't do that yet.

Have you done that yet? Yes, I've already done that.

Have you already done that? No, I haven't done that yet.


Thanks for your help and corrections :D


You're welcome.

:D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top