Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Tom continued the race (even though / although) he had a blister on the foot.

The answer is "even though".

1. Can someone explain?

2. Can I use "though" too?

3. Are "though, even though and although" interchangeable?

Thanks.

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Either answer is possible if "the foot" is corrected to "his foot".

If that question comes from an English textbook, you should discard it.

Ju

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I found the following information from Cambridge dictionary.

"Though is more common than although in general and it is much more common than although in speaking. For emphasis, we often use even with though (but not with although."

Any comment?

Thanks.

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I found the following information from Cambridge dictionary.

"Though is more common than although in general and it is much more common than although in speaking. For emphasis, we often use even with though (but not with although."

Any comment?

You can rely on the Cambridge Dictionary's advice for British English. I'm not sure that "though" holds as much of a lead in American English, but even although is not possible in either variety.

(EDIT) Google's ngram viewer supports my suspicion at least in written American English.

Note how I've marked words you're discussing by setting them in italics. You can wrap them in quotation marks instead, but one method or the other is required to make these posts comprehensible.

Ju

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
You can rely on the Cambridge Dictionary's advice for British English. I'm not sure that "though" holds as much of a lead in American English, but even although is not possible in either variety.

(EDIT) Google's ngram viewer supports my suspicion at least in written American English.

Note how I've marked words you're discussing by setting them in italics. You can wrap them in quotation marks instead, but one method or the other is required to make these posts comprehensible.

Thank you, GoesStation.

My problem is I can't find the tool bars for adjusting the fonts, underlined, italics,.bold, colour....etc. I'm using Android cell phone.

Thanks.

Ju

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thank you, GoesStation.

My problem is I can't find the tool bars for adjusting the fonts, underlined, italics,.bold, colour....etc. I'm using Android cell phone.

Thanks.

Another question is:

What does "holds as much of a lead in American English?"

Thanks.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Hong Kong
I am now using an Android phone, too.

Amelot

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Tom continued the race (even though / although) he had a blister on the foot.

The answer is "even though".

1. Can someone explain?

2. Can I use "though" too?

3. Are "though, even though and although" interchangeable?

Thanks.

"Even though"is clearly better. It is stronger than"although", so that it better expresses the idea that it is remarkable that Tom continued.

Not a teacher.

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The buttons are up there -- I know because I do a lot of forum posts from my Android phone, too. I don't use the mobile forum style, though. If you do, I think you get a simpler editor. But you don't have to use italics. Here's how you could have written the post using only single and double quotation marks. I added the missing closing parenthesis:

"'Though' is more common than 'although' in general and it is much more common than 'although' in speaking. For emphasis, we often use 'even' with 'though' (but not with 'although')."

The rule is that you alternate between double and single quotes to mark inner quotations. American convention is to start with double quotes. British convention used to favor single quotes but I'm not sure that still holds.