Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello, dear forummates. If it doesn't bother you much, I would like to ask you a question related to American football.

"I'm scoring four touchdowns on the ground, throwing for five in the air."

I get the first phrase, but can't tell what the endling means.

J

J&K Tutoring

1. There are two ways to score a touchdown in American football:
a. A runner carries the ball past the goal line.
b. One player throws the ball (through/in the air, of course) to another player on his team who is already beyond the goal line. (The speaker is the one who threw the ball to his teammate.)
There are other requirements, but that's basically it.

2. "I'm scoring four touchdowns on the ground, throwing for five in the air." It makes no sense for this sentence to be in the present continuous tense. It could only be correct in some past tense.
I scored four touchdowns on the ground, and threw for five. Even this is a bit odd. It is more likely that someone else would be talking about the achievement: He scored four touchdowns on the ground and threw for five.

Lynxear

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Yes, it is an awkward sentence.

I scored four touchdowns on the ground, and threw a touchdown pass for the fifth.

I am not sure it is a better sentence but it should make it clearer as to what was meant.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is the total number of touchdowns 5 or 9?

I scored two rushing touchdowns and threw for another three.

As J&K noted above, the forward pass, which allows a team to advance the ball by passing, is one of the major adaptations that makes American football different from its rugby forebear. You can move the ball (thus score) either by rushing or passing. On the ground or through the air.