Peculiarities of Arabic Language:
1.It is a Semitic language
- same as Hebrew- descending from the Phoenician (where the Alphabets originated), then Aramaic.
Alpha = /aleef/ in Phoenician .: in Arabic means pet animal.
Beta = /beit/ in Phoenician .: in Arabic means house.
Gama = /gamal/ in Phoenician .: in Arabic means camal
Delta = /delta/ in Phoenician .: in Arabic means delta
Hence, the Abjad
system .: ABCD
2. It has 28 letters. 3 Vowlesأ- و- ي .
3.It is referred to as the Language of the letter Dhadلغة الضاد
, because this letter/ sound is only found in Arabic language system, in the world today.
4.It is synonymous
: rich in vocabulary that refers to an entity. Like the word أسد -which means lion- has a lot of synonyms like ليث- ضرغام -أسامة-سبع-حمزة
: No silent letters (except /l/ See #10). The sound pronucned is written.
6.The Holy Quran (القرآن الكريم)
- the holy book of Muslims- is written in Arabic, and can never
be written in any other language. However, the translation of meaning of Quran is approved.
7. It shares a lot of vocabulary, and some linguistic features with many languages, due to historical, geographical, commercial and religious factors- such languages as: Persian, Turkish, Spanish and Portuguese. In addition to other languages, such as: English, French and Italian.
8.It is written from right to left.
9.The root of the words is basically three letters (morphological scale(فعل)
), some words are four, some five, and six. The words can be derived to form other parts of speech or other forms
of parts of speech.
10. No indefinite articles. There is only one definite article (ألـ) /al/. If the sound /l/ comes before (alef /a/- ba'a /b/- Jeem /j/-Ha'a- Kha'a- Ain- Ghin -Fa'a /f/-Qa'af -Ka'af /k/ - La'am /l/- Meem /m/- Ha'a /h/- Waw /o/ -Ya'a /e -y/), it is pronounced.
However if the sound /l/ comes before (Ta'a /t/ -Ttha'a /th/ [as in thin] - Dal /d/ -Thal /th/ [as in then] - Ra'a /r/ - Za'a /z/ - Seen /s/ - Sheen /sh/ - Sad /s
/ - Dhad - Ta'a /t
- Tha'a /th
/ -Noon /n/), then it's NOT pronounced.
PS: the sounds in bold are pronounced with heaviness (stress) on the tongue.