Article issues - use of "the"

Status
Not open for further replies.

FirstScript

Member Type
Other
1.______ anonymous caller helped ______ local police crack ______ difficult case that had remained unsolved for years.

Which article correctly fill these blanks ? I am trying to set an article question, but am confused as to what the correct answer is.

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
An/The anonymous caller helped a/the local police crack on a difficult case that had remained unsolved for years.

I am not a teacher. Could you check the sentence for us?

Thanks

malik naseem abbas

Member Type
Student or Learner
1.____the__ anonymous caller helped ___the ___ local police crack __on a____ difficult case that had remained unsolved for years.

Which article correctly fill these blanks ? I am trying to set an article question, but am confused as to what the correct answer is.
i think the following should be the possible reply of the sentence:
An anonymous caller helped the local police crack on a difficult case that had remained unsolved for years.

FirstScript

Member Type
Other
Thanks for the replies.

Typo in the earlier post - *articles

The first and last bank are "An" and "a" respectively.

However I am a little confused about the use of "the" in the middle blank. I would like a clarification as to when the article should be used, and when not.

Anglika

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Other
1.______ anonymous caller helped ______ local police crack ______ difficult case that had remained unsolved for years.

An / the / a

"the local police" = specific [there is not likely to be more than one police group in a district]

What will you do if your answers include "the" as the third article? It is a possible use.

FirstScript

Member Type
Other
An / the / a

"the local police" = specific [there is not likely to be more than one police group in a district]

What will you do if your answers include "the" as the third article? It is a possible use.
Thanks !

The third blank has "the" as an option, but not in combination with the correct options for the other blanks.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.