Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
[FONT=&quot]Why not visit (1)...Plymoth, the Waterfront City that shaped the lives of. (2)....Drake,(3)....Piligrim Fathers,(4)...Darwin,(5)....Cook and many more who set sail from its harbour?
Start your own exploration by visiting(6)....spectacular Plymouth Hoe, climb up Plymouth is best-known landmark,(7)....Smeaton is Tower Lighthouse and enjoy the most breathtaking view over Plymouth Sound.
If it is entertainment you are looking for,try to visit(8)....Theatre Royl, with top-class programmes from drama to musicals.(9) ...Plymouth Pavilions is the major regional venue for both pop and classical concerts, top comedians and sporting events.(10) ...city also has an exelent spread of accomodation and B&Bs ranging from small and cosy guesthouses to the luxury of three- and four-stars hotels.(11) ...modern pedestrianised city centre, with its floral displays, water features and (12)....largest range of shops in the region is a delight for shoppers. With its unique location between Dartmoor, the last great wilderness of (14)... Southern England, and (13)... South Devon coast, (15)... Plymouth is an ideal base for venturing into the countryside or onto the water. [/FONT]​
1 --
2 -- or the?
3 the
4 --
5 --
6 the
7 the
8 the
9 the
10 the
11 the
12 the
13 --
14 the
15 --​

Could you tell me what Drake and Cook mean.​

Thanks in advance,​
Max

redcrows

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Drake and Cook are the last names of 2 famous English explorers.

usignolo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thanks! What about the articles?)

andreichikv

Member Type
Student or Learner
[FONT=&quot]Why not visit (1)...Plymoth, the Waterfront City that shaped the lives of. (2)....Drake,(3)....Piligrim Fathers,(4)...Darwin,(5)....Cook and many more who set sail from its harbour?
Start your own exploration by visiting(6)....spectacular Plymouth Hoe, climb up Plymouth is best-known landmark,(7)....Smeaton is Tower Lighthouse and enjoy the most breathtaking view over Plymouth Sound.
If it is entertainment you are looking for,try to visit(8)....Theatre Royl, with top-class programmes (programs?????)from drama to musicals.(9) ...Plymouth Pavilions is the major regional venue for both pop and classical concerts, top comedians and sporting events.(10) ...city also has an exelent spread of accomodation and B&Bs ranging from small and cosy guesthouses to the luxury of three- and four-stars hotels.(11) ...modern pedestrianised city centre, with its floral displays, water features and (12)....largest range of shops in the region is a delight for shoppers. With its unique location between Dartmoor, the last great wilderness of (14)... Southern England, and (13)... South Devon coast, (15)... Plymouth is an ideal base for venturing into the countryside or onto the water. [/FONT]​
1 --
2 -- or the?
3 the
4 --
5 --
6 the
7 the
8 the
9 the
10 the
11 the
12 the
13 --
14 the
15 --

Why on the first sentence have no article??.​

usignolo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
As far as some misprints are concerned, don't mind it please.
Actually, I was given the text and I had no time to correct obvious misprints for instance, royAl.
I'm interested in the articles only.
As to your question, [FONT=&quot]Plymoth is a town, we don't use any articles with towns and cities, for example, London, Moscow and so on.

By the way, "
[/FONT] Why on the first sentence have no article??.[FONT=&quot]"
It's an incorrect question.
It should be something like that: Why didn't you use an article in the first gap? or at least Why the first gap HAS no article?
If you don't agree with me, I'll be glad to read your opinion.

[/FONT]

usignolo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
By the way, the second gap exactly has no article.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
By the way, "Why on the first sentence have no article??."
It's an incorrect question.
It should be something like that: Why didn't you use an article in the first gap? or at least Why the first gap HAS no article?
If you don't agree with me, I'll be glad to read your opinion.
Hi usignolo,

I'd like to correct your "Why the first gap HAS no article?"

It would be "Why doesn't the first gap have an article?"

There are actually a few ways to ask this, but the version above is not one of them. :)

usignolo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Status
Not open for further replies.