Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
A significant shift in life expectancy taking place all over the developed countries, as a result of eradication of some infectious diseases that once were the most common cause of death, especially among young children.

Is sentence above correct and can we substitute the bold part with the "eradicating" and "mortality" respectively?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
It would be better with your suggested changes.

Lynxear

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
A significant shift in life expectancy taking place all over the developed countries, as a result of eradication of some infectious diseases that once were the most common cause of death, especially among young children.

Is sentence above correct and can we substitute the bold part with the "eradicating" and "mortality" respectively?

You have more problems than just switching those bolded words. This is not a sentence because there is no verb in the main clause.

I would not change "death" for "mortality". Currently there is a mistake with your use of the word "eradication" as you have written it. "Eradicating" could be used but it is not simply a direct substitution of the two words. You will have to change other words as well.

I am not going to give you the changes right now. Take a good look at your writing here and post a better sentence from these clues.

ambitious-girl

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Take a good look at your writing here and post a better sentence from these clues.
Thanks Lynxear for making such points. I really appreciate your help.

I hope to do well:
A significant shift in life expectancy is taking place all over the developed countries, as a result of eradicating some infectious diseases that once were the most common cause of death, especially among young children.

Lynxear

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
That is much better! I knew you could do it.

"Eradication" could also be used instead of "eradicating".

A significant shift in life expectancy is taking place all over the developed countries, as a result of the eradication of some infectious diseases that once were the most common cause of death, especially among young children.

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Eradicating is better than the eradication of. It's shorter.