Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Iran
A particular decision that was extremely important to me was the one to further my studies beyond my bachelor's degree abroad, especially in an English-speaking country. That was a tough decision, because I needed to consider all the possible aspects of living alone as well as studying in a foreign country, like living costs, housing, homesickness, climate, tuition fees, the university's reputation, and career opportunities.

Source: It was written by a teacher and then I edited.

Can "potential" be a good replacement for "possible"?

Could you please help me to correct the underlined part if it is not correct?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can you post the version your teacher wrote before you edited it? It's only fair to do so.

Sarah-Betty

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Iran
Can you post the version your teacher wrote before you edited it? It's only fair to do so.
Sure.

A particular decision that was extremely important to me was the one to further my studies beyond my bachelor's degree abroad, especially in an English-speaking country. That was a tough decision, because I needed to consider all the possible aspects of living alone in a foreign country, including living costs, housing, homesickness, climate, tuition fees, the university's reputation, and career opportunities.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A particular decision that was extremely important to me was the one to further my studies beyond my bachelor's degree abroad, especially in an English-speaking country. That was a tough decision, because I needed to consider all the possible aspects of living alone in a foreign country, including living costs, housing, homesickness, climate, tuition fees, the university's reputation, and career opportunities.

That is excellent!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, it is excellent but it was written by Sarah-Betty's teacher, so it should be good!

Unless I'm missing something, Sarah-Betty, the only thing you did in post #1 was add "as well as studying" in the second sentence. The rest is identical. If you want to add the idea of studying, use "... all the possible aspects of living alone and studying in a foreign country ..."

It would be a much better use of your time to write your own short paragraphs for practice.

Last edited:

Sarah-Betty

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Iran
If you want to add the idea of studying, use "... all the possible aspects of living alone and studying in a foreign country ..."
Thank you Emsr2d2. That was what I wanted! Because in the context, we have other options like "tuition fees,..", I think we should need to add "studying".

I asked another question about "potential". Is it a good replacement for "possible"?

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Now that I read it back, I don't even think "all the possible aspects" is great. I'd use either just "aspects of ..." or "possible/potential problems/issues".