Ask a word

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacknomi

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi,

Everyone knows eyelid;we have upper one and the lower one. Okay, here is my question. I am looking for a word that describes single-folded and double-folded eyelid. Let me draw you a picture to help you understand what I'm saying.

=.= double-folded eyelid

-,- single-folded eyelid

Is there any specific word for that?

S

Sam-F

Hmmm,

while there may well be a special medical term, I think that it is comonly refered to just the way that you used it: single-fold eyelids and double-fold eyelids.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Hooded???? ;-)

S

Susie Smith

tdol said:
Hooded???? ;-)

I googled it and found the expressions single-fold eyelid and double-fold eyelid, as well as single eyelid and double eyelid.

:)

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
blacknomi said:
Hi,

Everyone knows eyelid;we have upper one and the lower one. Okay, here is my question. I am looking for a word that describes single-folded and double-folded eyelid. Let me draw you a picture to help you understand what I'm saying.

=.= double-folded eyelid

-,- single-folded eyelid

Is there any specific word for that?

In addition,

The fold created in the double-eyelid surgery procedure is called a supratarsal fold.

Read more...

:hi:

blacknomi

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Your waving hands :hi: at the end of your reply looked queer! It is as if you were a beneficiary of 'eye work' and you are recruiting me to join you.

Oh well, I have to think about it! Mines are double alreay. =.=

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
blacknomi said:
Your waving hands :hi: at the end of your reply looked queer! It is as if you were a beneficiary of 'eye work' and you are recruiting me to join you.

Oh well, I have to think about it! Mines are double alreay. =.=

:lol: In North American English "queer" means, gay, homosexual. :shock:

When I live in Canada, I heard nothing about double-eyelid surgery. I never even knew it existed until that is I moved to Japan. :cry: I saw a documentary on it a couple of months ago: Teenage girls in Taiwan were having the procedure done! :? It's not something I understand, but if it makes a person feel better about themselves, then there's no harm in it, I guess. That reminds me, have you heard about the tongue slicing going on in South Korea. Agh. :shock:

W

welldone

Casiopea, I have seen quite some people having their tongue pierced here at USA:).
I don't know how they eat.

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
welldone said:
Casiopea, I have seen quite some people having their tongue pierced here at USA:).
I don't know how they eat.

What's going on in South Korea (i.e., tongue slicing) is mild in comparison to tongue piercing. :(

C

claude

Are those pierced tongue guys called punks?
I heared about some South Korean sliced their tongues in order to speak English well, with shorter tongues.

shane

Member Type
Student or Learner
I've heard of people in the UK having their tongues sliced, too. Gross!

blacknomi

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
The idea of having shorter or longer tongues is correlated with one's performance in any language-I think. :wink:

Sathish Kumar

In India, some people pierce their tounge, as a supplication, a prayer asking God's help as part of a religious service. Indians are :oops: overly pious!!

Status
Not open for further replies.