Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
If it’s not the first rule of Republican politics, it should be: never, ever, ever underestimate anybody whose last name is Clinton. Not Bill, not Hillary. Not Chelsea, not even George. They’re very good at what they do, and when they’re about to be written off for dead, that’s when they’re at their very best.

What does the part in pink mean ? Thanks a lot to whoever gives me an answer!

apex2000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Wales
Not actually dead! They are no longer considered as having any impact in whatever they were previously involved in. That is not only politics but anything else as well.:)

flowerseed

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Not actually dead! They are no longer considered as having any impact in whatever they were previously involved in. That is not only politics but anything else as well.:)

Thank you very much, apex2000!

but I still feel puzzled about the meaning. What did the writer intend to say ?

apex2000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Wales
Thank you very much, apex2000!

but I still feel puzzled about the meaning. What did the writer intend to say ?

In this context it means that when they may be considered as of no further use or influence, that is the time to beware as they may come back with more impact than ever before.
In the present US presidential race, looking at the democrats it appears at present that Obama is almost unstoppable as his momentum has carried on through many of the primaries and Clinton has lost some by a heavy margin. Now consider the possibility that just when Obama appears to have won Clinton manages to clinch the last vital endorsement and thereby eclipses Obama.

flowerseed

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In this context it means that when they may be considered as of no further use or influence, that is the time to beware as they may come back with more impact than ever before.
In the present US presidential race, looking at the democrats it appears at present that Obama is almost unstoppable as his momentum has carried on through many of the primaries and Clinton has lost some by a heavy margin. Now consider the possibility that just when Obama appears to have won Clinton manages to clinch the last vital endorsement and thereby eclipses Obama.

I can fully understand it now. Thank you very much for your patience and help!

Status
Not open for further replies.