Ask you some help about basketball terminology?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sky753

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello Everyone,:):)

Yesterday I read a sports report about Huston Rockets against New York Knicks. And there are several terminology I am confused about. Hope you can help me ?

1.Shane Battier, who matched his career high with five blocked shots and scored on a putback when the Knicks were within seven.
Q:What does "putback" mean here?

2.The breakdown at the end of the first quarter was worse, with Stephon Marbury driving the length of the court to put in a layup when the Rockets had a foul to give and could have stopped him anywhere along the way.
Q: Which team had made a foul Rockets or Knicks and what does layup mean here?

3.Official Eric Lewis did the honors after Thomas came out on the court to argue that Yao was getting away with a three-second violation, saying later he tried to get a technical.
Q: What does "getting away with a three -second violation" mean here ?And from the sentence does Thomas ,the coach of Knick presume that Yao in order to get a technical ,intentionally got away with a three -second violation? And does a technical here mean free throw?

Regards

Sky:)

Last edited:

heidita

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
2.The breakdown at the end of the first quarter was worse, with Stephon Marbury driving the length of the court to put in a layup when the Rockets had a foul to give and could have stopped him anywhere along the way.
Q: Which team had made a foul Rockets or Knicks and what does layup mean here?

Look at the definition of layup:

a basketball shot made with one hand from a position under or beside the basket (and usually banked off the backboard)

I think what the text is saying is that the Rockets could have made a foul and didn't and so didn't stop the player Stephon..who finally scored.

3.Official Eric Lewis did the honors after Thomas came out on the court to argue that Yao was getting away with a three-second violation, saying later he tried to get a technical.
Q: What does "getting away with a three -second violation" mean here ?And from the sentence does Thomas ,the coach of Knick presume that Yao in order to get a technical ,intentionally got away with a three -second violation? And does a technical here mean free throw?
A technical is a foul.

(basketball) a foul that that can be assessed on a player or a coach or a team for unsportsmanlike conduct; does not usually involve physical contact during play
A three second violation is this:

An offensive player may not stand in the lane for three seconds.

So, he wanted to get away with the three second violation as that was important. Players with 5 fouls cannot continue playing.

Tell you the truth, sky, I have no idea of basketbal, that's why I found your question interesting.

cheers:cool:

sky753

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
[/font][/color][/font][/color]

Look at the definition of layup:

a basketball shot made with one hand from a position under or beside the basket (and usually banked off the backboard)

I think what the text is saying is that the Rockets could have made a foul and didn't and so didn't stop the player Stephon..who finally scored.

A technical is a foul.

A three second violation is this:

So, he wanted to get away with the three second violation as that was important. Players with 5 fouls cannot continue playing.

Tell you the truth, sky, I have no idea of basketbal, that's why I found your question interesting.

cheers:cool:

Thank you very much for your answer, but I am really confused about my last questions. Maybe I think it is beyond language issue, and more of basket rules and tricky playing skills. And hope someone familiar with basket can help!

riverkid

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher

We "ask for something", Sky, so,

Ask you for some help about basketball terminology?

acorn

Member Type
Other
Hello Everyone,:):)

Yesterday I read a sports report about Huston Rockets against New York Knicks. And there are several terminology I am confused about. Hope you can help me ?

1.Shane Battier, who matched his career high with five blocked shots and scored on a putback when the Knicks were within seven.
Q:What does "putback" mean here?
A putback is catching the ball on rebound and putting it back in the basket.

Getting away with a three-second violation means "not being penalized for that violation."
A technical foul gives the other team a free throw and possession of the ball. Getting a technical foul intentionally may be a tactical move by a coach to stop the game when his team has no more timeouts.

sky753

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

We "ask for something", Sky, so,

Ask you for some help about basketball terminology?

Many thanks for pointing out my mistakes!!!:):):):):up:

Status
Not open for further replies.