Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I am trying to form a sentence would you help me form it?

"Most real hackers does not touch Windows with their hands, not seeing it a real operating system, even keeping away from Linux as well, they work with Unix."

Thank you.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am trying to form a sentence. Would you help me form it?

"Most real hackers does not touch Windows with their hands, not seeing it a real operating system, even keeping away from Linux as well, they work with Unix."
Most real hackers do not touch Windows, which they don't regard as a real operating system. They even stay away from Linux. Their favorite OS is Unix.

I'm not commenting on the veracity of the sentiment. :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No one can touch Windows with their hands. It's an operating system so there is nothing physical to touch.

There is a common phrase in BrE - "wouldn't touch it with a barge pole", meaning someone stays well away from something, refusing to get anywhere near it. That would fit in your context.

"Most real hackers wouldn't touch Windows with a barge pole ..."

There's also "Most real hackers avoid Windows like the plague ..."

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In American English, we don't touch things with a ten-foot​ pole. I find the unqualified "they don't touch Windows" fine, though.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
In American English, we don't touch things with a ten-foot​ pole. I find the unqualified "they don't touch Windows" fine, though.
Thank you for the idiom "not touch something with a ten-foot pole" in American English. But would you explain why you call "they don't touch" as unqualified?

Thank you.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Thank you for the idiom "not touch something with a ten-foot pole" in American English. But would you explain why you call "they don't touch" as unqualified?
I hesitated to post that because I thought it might be confusing. Sorry!

As you can see from the first quote above, I didn't write that they don't touch is unqualified. Two longer versions of the quoted phrase were proposed earlier in the thread: Most real hackers don't touch Windows with their hands and Most real hackers wouldn't touch Windows with a barge pole. The bolded phrases qualify "Most real hackers don't/wouldn't touch Windows." My suggestion is not to qualify that phrase at all.