Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Is it necessary to always say or write "he or she" or "he/she" when talking about an "example"-person (i.e. when it's not important to know whether it's he or she being discussed). For instance, in the adjacent thread (https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/threads/257509-quot-He-got-lost-quot-(-)), I tried to put everywhere "he/she" and "his/her" but gave up because it sounded too awkward to me. Is there any way to avoid this kind of expression? Or is it not really a problem to write only "he" or only "she" in such instances?

Last edited:

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Hong Kong
S/he.
They. Them. Their.

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
S/he.
They. Them. Their.

I'd like to avoid "s/he" too. :) But the other option might work for me. Is it natural to say or write There are sometimes situations when your interlocutor suddenly stops following you (that is, they don't understand you)?That's the very first sentence from the post I gave the link to.

Last edited:

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
It turnes out Piscean has already answered my question in post #3. :-D Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
But just to ensure I get it right... Does that sentence sound natural (putting the pedants' point of view aside)?
There are sometimes situations when your interlocutor suddenly stops following you (that is, they don't understand you).

Last edited:

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan
You can avoid it by using the plural: instead of "every student must bring his or her laptop to class," you can say "All students must bring their laptops to class."

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
I think I've successfully changed that text following your advice except for one sentence. I'm still not sure if it's OK to change it this way. Would the underlined part be OK?
They either got tired or you are simply too far from one another in some way (for instance, you're an astronaut, they're a football player).

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
With the correct closing punctuation, I think that sentence is fine - including the underlined part. Many editors would not, I think, accept it, but I think in five years or so, nearly all of them will.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
I'd use it.
Are you referring to the sentence being discussed in the previous posts (#11 and 12) or to the expression "he or she"? I first thought it's the previous posts you are talking about, but then saw the name of the thread right above your post and got confused. :)

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I was referring to the following:

you're an astronaut, they're a football player

I was responding to GoesStation's post. I don't think it is necessary to try to rewrite sentences to get round the issue- they is fine for me in any context when the gender is unclear or unnecessary.