Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi all,
What kind of shirt was a «Bachelor's shirt» in the English 19th?

Thanks!

jiho

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
So far as I am aware, a shirt that is worn by a bachelor.

Do you have more context?

Hi Anglika,

No, I am afraid I don't. it is just a mention in a list of objects shown at the Great Exhibition of London (1851), as follows:
«...a "bachelor's shirt of peculiar construction without buttons",...»
Medieval and post-medieval shirts already had no buttons, just a string to adjust them in the neck, so i cannot guess what is the peculiar thing with a buttonless shirt.
Unless it was an ancestor of the modern t-shirt...

Thanks

Last edited:

Anglika

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Other
I think your supposition that it is a forerunner of a T-shirt is not at all bad.

Since this reference is to an exhibit in the Great Exhibition, it is very likely to be an ingeniously designed [and probably patented] shirt that does not need studs or buttons to fasten it, and can be put on without the assistance of a man-servant. I suppose the only way to be sure of what it was like is to find a copy of the full catalogue to the Exhibition or search the Patent Office archive.

jiho

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Well, that was the only thing I could think of.

Thank you so much, teacher!

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think your supposition that it is a forerunner of a T-shirt is not at all bad.

Since this reference is to an exhibit in the Great Exhibition, it is very likely to be an ingeniously designed [and probably patented] shirt that does not need studs or buttons to fasten it, and can be put on without the assistance of a man-servant. I suppose the only way to be sure of what it was like is to find a copy of the full catalogue to the Exhibition or search the Patent Office archive.
:up: Or maybe it was made of a material resistant to creasing (the assumption being that bachelors don't have irons, or if they do, they use them as door-stops). In my youth (a few years after the Great Exhibition, I'll have you know ;-)) there was a big fuss about 'Drip-Dry' shirts.

b

jiho

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
:up: Or maybe it was made of a material resistant to creasing (the assumption being that bachelors don't have irons, or if they do, they use them as door-stops). In my youth (a few years after the Great Exhibition, I'll have you know ;-)) there was a big fuss about 'Drip-Dry' shirts.

b

«Iron? Do you mean Iron Maiden?» said the bachelor...:lol::lol:

Not a bad point, I say, although not too obvious. I think it seems a rather complex interpretation of the text, but not necessarily bad.

Thanks Bobk

Status
Not open for further replies.