back and fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bingbing

Guest
Is this a set phrase?
I used my Powerword(a software product)when I read some Chinese reports. And I came across this idiom in Chinese"出尔反尔",which might be interpreted as denying sth that has been said before. My Powerword gives me the equavalent of this Chinese idiom as "back and fill".
What is "back and fill" in English anyway?
Do you happen to know what is the English for that Chinese idiom?
Thank you for your replies!!
 
B

bingbing

Guest
bingbing said:
Is this a set phrase?
I used my Powerword(a software product)when I read some Chinese reports. And I came across this idiom in Chinese"出尔反尔",which might be interpreted as denying sth that has been said before. My Powerword gives me the equavalent of this Chinese idiom as "back and fill".
What is "back and fill" in English anyway?
Do you happen to know what is the English for that Chinese idiom?
Thank you for your replies!!

I saw this phrase 'renege on a pledge".Is it appropriate here? :?:
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
bingbing said:
bingbing said:
Is this a set phrase?
I used my Powerword(a software product)when I read some Chinese reports. And I came across this idiom in Chinese"¥X尔¤Ï尔",which might be interpreted as denying sth that has been said before. My Powerword gives me the equavalent of this Chinese idiom as "back and fill".
What is "back and fill" in English anyway?
Do you happen to know what is the English for that Chinese idiom?
Thank you for your replies!!

I saw this phrase 'renege on a pledge". Is it appropriate here? :?:

¥X尔¤Ï尔 means, renege on a promise.

Powerword has it half right. 'back and fill' should be 'go back on (a promise, your word)'.

:D
 

shane

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2003
Member Type
Student or Learner
Would that be the same as going back on one's word?? :wink:

[edit] Cas got to this a split second before I posted. I wasn't just reiterating her words![/edit]
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Impressively accurate typing if that is the case. ;-)
 

shane

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2003
Member Type
Student or Learner
Yes, I was back from the pub so soon...

It was okay, but a slight disappointment - there was no countdown, and no one wished anyone else a happy new year. How strange. :?

Oh, and I didn't drink a lot, hence the accurate typing. Couldn't drink too much, not at those prices....
 
B

bingbing

Guest
shane said:
Yes, I was back from the pub so soon...

It was okay, but a slight disappointment - there was no countdown, and no one wished anyone else a happy new year. How strange. :?

Oh, and I didn't drink a lot, hence the accurate typing. Couldn't drink too much, not at those prices....

In China, a big countdown often occurs on the Lunar New Year Eve. That night ,the Spring Festival Gala on CCTV draws millions of people to plant in front of their TV set and witness together a new year in. Maybe that's why you've not seen any countdown.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top