Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,
Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentence from Stevenson’s “The Wrecker”?

I was, at least, so sunk in sadness, that I scarce remarked where I was going; and chance (or some finer sense that live in us, and only guides us when the mind is in abeyance) conducted my steps into a quarter of the island where the birds were few.

be in abeyance = be in state of uncertainty, uncertainty, expectations; be in limbo; be in dormant state

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

stanislaw.masny

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Dear vil
I will try (only try)to have a share in explaining it. I'm not a teacher.
I think that your interpretation "to be in state of limbo/inactivity" is appropriate.
"the mind is passive".
Thank you.
S.M.

Reactions: vil

chester_100

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I believe you're right. Abeyance is categorized as an advanced word. Although that doesn't seem to be an original metaphor, using abeyance to mean disorientation as a result of psychological or physiological malfunctioning seems to be original.

In abeyance can mean, in a non-literary context, not being used; suspended; barred.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Dear teachers,
Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentence from Stevenson’s “The Wrecker”?

I was, at least, so sunk in sadness, that I scarcely remarked where I was going; and chanced (or some finer sense that live in us, and only guides us when the mind is in abeyance) conducting my steps into a quarter of the island where the birds were few.

be in abeyance = be in state of uncertainty, uncertainty, expectations; be in limbo; be in dormant state

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

I hope, you would not mind my making a few modifications that sounds ok to me. Your interpretation of 'mind is in abeyance' is perfectly right though this may not be used in everyday English.

Status
Not open for further replies.