Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear Teachers,

In a film a person said ' He is beautiful'. I used to think beautiful is used to describe a female and handsome is used to describe male as well as female. Why beautiful is used here?

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
A man can be beautiful- it depends on the type of man. The distinction is not so clear-cut as a woman can be handsome. A handsome woman would not be a conventional beauty,but her attractiveness would have something perceived as masculine. ;-0

jiang

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you for your explanation. You said ' A handsome woman would not be a conventional beauty,but her attractiveness would have something perceived as masculine'. Then do you think a woman would like to be describe as 'handsome'? I imagine it is not a good thing for a woman to be of maculine.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Jiang
tdol said:
A man can be beautiful- it depends on the type of man. The distinction is not so clear-cut as a woman can be handsome. A handsome woman would not be a conventional beauty,but her attractiveness would have something perceived as masculine. ;-0

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Never tell a woman she is handsome. Women want you to tell them they are pretty.

:)

Member Type
Other
jiang said:
Dear Teachers,

In a film a person said ' He is beautiful'. I used to think beautiful is used to describe a female and handsome is used to describe male as well as female. Why beautiful is used here?

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Hi jiang,

In a flim I saw, one character said to the other character that "I am not a criminal look I am wearning a suit". :lol:

Member Type
Other
tdol said:

Title: Handsome Women
Author: Wall, Judith H.
Description: 546pp of novel about 2 sisters of a military family. a West Point wedding beneath crossed sabres. promising cadets, sensitive Captain, a widower. a completely compelling story.

http://www.meghanhickey.com/Portfolio/pubworks/handsome.html

What type of man is called beautiful man?

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Johnnie Depp rather than Bruce Willis. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.