[Grammar] Because I was so gripped by studing English, I lost track of time.

sania-baharat

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Iran
Yesterday, my teacher taught the lesson about "so ... that" grammar. Then, he asked us to change our sentences in order to rewrite them using "because".

"I was so gripped by studing English that I lost track of time."

"Because I was so gripped by studing English, I lost track of time."

Then, he told me: "I needed to remove so in the second example. Whenver I want to use because, I musn't use so. Instead I needed to use very."

Then I changed it:
Because I was very gripped by studing English, I lost track of time..

Now, I would like to have your ideas on what my teacher stated. Isn't his rule weird?

Thanks.

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Also, the version with very is not natural.

sania-baharat

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Iran
Thanks for your suggestions.

Unfortunately, I can't tell my teacher that he taught us wrong rule. Because he will think that their students don't trust what he is teaching and he might say: " If you don't trust my teaching methods, you can attend another class except my classes."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, if your teacher is teaching you incorrect English, you'd be better off finding another English teacher.

sania-baharat

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Iran
Thanks Emsr2d2. But I already paid for that class. They won't give my money back. IELTS courses costs so much. it cost almost half of my regular salary. You know I have to attend my class till it finishes. I also have to say that he is considered to be one of the well-known English teachers where I live. He only teaches IELTS and he is know as an expert in English, especially IELTS. I had been waiting for 4 months before I was able to attend his classes. However, every time I ask you to check my sentences, I find that he has made another mistake.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, if you have paid for the classes, they can't kick you out for pointing out the teacher's errors. I suggest that, at the very least, you show our responses on this forum to the other students even if you don't fancy showing them to the teacher.

sania-baharat

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Iran
I suggest that, at the very least, you show our responses on this forum to the other students even if you don't fancy showing them to the teacher.
I did that Emsr2d2.

Last night, after I postet my last thread. I immediately told to some of my classmates about this mistake. That wrong rule was made most of them really confused as well as me.
They all say thanks to all teachers and people here who helped them.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I did that, Emsr2d2.

Last night, after I posted my last thread. I immediately told [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] some of my classmates about this mistake. That wrong rule [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] had made most of them really confused, [STRIKE]as well as[/STRIKE] like me.
They all say thanks to all the teachers and people here who helped them.

I'm glad you were able to help your fellow students. Perhaps you could encourage them to join this forum as well.

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I still think it's worth asking the teacher about. Perhaps speak to the teacher privately if you don't want to cause a confrontation in front of the class. It's very possible the teacher accidentally made a mistake, and will acknowledge the error. I'd suggest instead of starting with "I think you're wrong", try something like "I was confused so I researched more information and got a different answer".

A good teacher will admit their mistakes. Every once in a while, I make a careless mistake,and my students love it when they catch one of my errors. It really gives them a confidence boost when they do, so I suppose it's worth the hit to my pride. :oops:

Hopefully you don't have one of those teachers who refuses to admit their mistakes, although sadly they do exist.

Last edited:

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Also, it's very rare to find a non-native English speaker who never makes any errors. This goes for teachers despite their best efforts. A good teacher will appreciate a gentle reminder that they can improve their skills a bit more by mastering one more usage.

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's very rare to find a native-speaking teacher of English who never makes any mistakes.
True. I remember rocking my high-school English teacher's confidence when I proved unequivocally that mischievous doesn't have another i after the v. Dictionaries are wonderful things.

She taught until she was in her nineties, and served as the uncredited model, in both appearance and personality, for an alien character in a recent Star Wars movie.