below V.S. under ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacknomi

Key Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2004
Member Type
Student or Learner
Dear all,

How can I teach these 2 prepositions? When should I use 'under'? When should i use 'below'?

I am sitting under a tree.
I am sitting below a tree.


There is a bag under the desk.
There is a bag below the desk.


Thank you.
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'd sit under a tree and the bag would be under the desk.

I'm on a break at work now, so I'll reply in more detail this evening when I have more time. ;-)
 

blacknomi

Key Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2004
Member Type
Student or Learner
tdol said:
I'd sit under a tree and the bag would be under the desk.

I'm on a break at work now, so I'll reply in more detail this evening when I have more time. ;-)


Dear tdol,
Thannnnnnk you a lot in advance.

I use 'under' when sth relates to a 'SPACE' concept. the object is somewhere out there, doesn't really have the exact location.


:eyes: sabrina
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
blacknomi said:
Dear all,

How can I teach these 2 prepositions? When should I use 'under'? When should i use 'below'?

I am sitting under a tree.
I am sitting below a tree.


There is a bag under the desk.
There is a bag below the desk.


Thank you.

I would sit "under" a tree.

A bag could be below or under a desk, though "under" would be more common. :wink:
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
There are occasions when we can only say 'below':

I live on the top floor and my friend lives on the floor below.
;-)
 

blacknomi

Key Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2004
Member Type
Student or Learner
tdol said:
There are occasions when we can only say 'below':

I live on the top floor and my friend lives on the floor below.
;-)


Is 'below' used when there is a surface above? when there's sth above, i can say below.


For example.
We are on the 2nd floor and the flower shop is below us on the ground floor.



:wink: sabrina :wink:
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
blacknomi said:
tdol said:
There are occasions when we can only say 'below':

I live on the top floor and my friend lives on the floor below.
;-)


Is 'below' used when there is a surface above? when there's sth above, i can say below.


For example.
We are on the 2nd floor and the flower shop is below us on the ground floor.



:wink: sabrina :wink:

Yes, that one is fine.

:D
 

blacknomi

Key Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2004
Member Type
Student or Learner
RonBee said:
blacknomi said:
tdol said:
There are occasions when we can only say 'below':

I live on the top floor and my friend lives on the floor below.
;-)


Is 'below' used when there is a surface above? when there's sth above, i can say below.


For example.
We are on the 2nd floor and the flower shop is below us on the ground floor.



:wink: sabrina :wink:

Yes, that one is fine.

:D


Dear Ronbee,
Thanks for the patience to explain these. I guess 'below' and 'under' are clearer a little bit. In my first language, we just use one word to mean "down", "beneath", "under" and "below". That's why i'm confused.

Again, Thanks.

have a nice weekend.



:silly: sabrina :silly:
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You're welcome. :D

It can get a little complicated. Being a native speaker, it is often more difficult for me to explain the choice than to know what word to use.

:)
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's grammatical- you would have to use underneath, but I still don't like that very much. ;-)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top