blue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eway

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2003
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Is "blue" movie adult movie?
Can this "blue" be used to describe a person?
For example,
when a person is extra interested in sex,
can I say "You're so blue"?
Or there are other adjectives to it?

And...err...do other colors have other implications in English?

(We use "yellow" instead of "blue" to refer to adult movie in Chinese...)
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
Eway said:
Is "blue" movie adult movie?
Can this "blue" be used to describe a person?
For example,
when a person is extra interested in sex,
can I say "You're so blue"?
Or there are other adjectives to it?

And...err...do other colors have other implications in English?

(We use "yellow" instead of "blue" to refer to adult movie in Chinese...)

'blue' in that context means lewd. It refers to things (i.e. movies, laws) but not to people.

Why are adult movies called "blue"? Click Here


:D
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Onelives and learns. However, it's a strange colour to choose for laws enforced by brutality.;-)
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
tdol said:
Onelives and learns. However, it's a strange colour to choose for laws enforced by brutality.;-)


Do you mean, like black 'n blue? :shock:
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I see- I was thinking of red for 'bloody'. Thanks.;-)
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Can Red be blue? ;-)
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
tdol said:
Can Red be blue? ;-)

Blue blood is red, yet yellow when exposed to oxygen. :shock:

What's black and white and read all over?
A newspaper.
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Yellow blood? Sounds like one for the doctor.;-)
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I feel better already.;-)
 

Eway

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2003
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
How about "yellow"?
Can it be used other ways apart from the color yellow?
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
Eway said:
How about "yellow"?
Can it be used other ways apart from the color yellow?


Traitor:
has a yellow streak (noun)
is yellow-bellied (adjective)

:D
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Casiopea said:
Eway said:
How about "yellow"?
Can it be used other ways apart from the color yellow?


Traitor:
has a yellow streak (noun)
is yellow-bellied (adjective)

:D

The paper yellowed with age. (verb) ;-)
 

Eway

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2003
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
One more question about color...err...hope it wouldn't be too unpleasant...
In English,
is the color "brown" sometimes used to refer to human excrement? :shock: :?

--------
edited for language
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
Eway said:
One more question about color...err...hope it wouldn't be too unpleasant...
In English,
is the color "brown" sometimes used to refer to human excrement? :shock: :?

--------
edited for language

Not to my knowledge. :shock:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top