British or American?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ako

Member
Joined
May 24, 2004
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Kurdish
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Which one interests you more? British or American accent?
Do you think foreign students can use both of them, for example, in different situations?
I love to recite poems in BrE, but the world of internet and computer make me speak AmE.
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The internet means that in BrE we use a lot of American English, which I like. However, I do prefer BrE slang. ;-)
 

ako

Member
Joined
May 24, 2004
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Kurdish
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Francois said:
Say:
Which do you prefer?
...the world of internet and computer makes...

FRC
Thanks for correcting me. But you didn't answer the question!
Ako
 

twostep

Senior Member
Joined
May 10, 2004
ako said:
Francois said:
Say:
Which do you prefer?
...the world of internet and computer makes...

FRC
Thanks for correcting me. But you didn't answer the question!
Ako

I do not think you can prefer one of the other. It depends on your application. BE is great in London. Try it in the Bajous of Louisiana. Two people divided by one language. :wink:
 
N

Natalie27

Guest
twostep said:
ako said:
Francois said:
Say:
Which do you prefer?
...the world of internet and computer makes...

FRC
Thanks for correcting me. But you didn't answer the question!
Ako

I do not think you can prefer one of the other. It depends on your application. BE is great in London. Try it in the Bajous of Louisiana. Two people divided by one language. :wink:

I can't say I hate BrE but I think it's a stifled and overglottalized version of an otherwise "normal" language. To me BrE sounds awfully pretentious and a bit pompous. That's just my take on it and somehow I can't think of it any other way.... :? It almost feels like someone's reading a script and it's not natural....does anyone feel the same way??????
 

twostep

Senior Member
Joined
May 10, 2004
Natalie27 said:
twostep said:
ako said:
Francois said:
Say:
Which do you prefer?
...the world of internet and computer makes...

FRC
Thanks for correcting me. But you didn't answer the question!
Ako

I do not think you can prefer one of the other. It depends on your application. BE is great in London. Try it in the Bajous of Louisiana. Two people divided by one language. :wink:

I can't say I hate BrE but I think it's a stifled and overglottalized version of an otherwise "normal" language. To me BrE sounds awfully pretentious and a bit pompous. That's just my take on it and somehow I can't think of it any other way.... :? It almost feels like someone's reading a script and it's not natural....does anyone feel the same way??????

Have you considered the historical side? Have you looked into the level of required education? Scary, isn't it? I personally prefer the soft Southern drawl but it took a while to get the hang of it. Some of the things I have heard across the border were a bit iffy, too. :wink: :wink:
Whenever in doubt - habla Espanol? Without it you are lost in the continental US. Hang in there, we have a hurrican approaching tonight.
 
N

Natalie27

Guest
twostep said:
Natalie27 said:
twostep said:
ako said:
Francois said:
Say:
Which do you prefer?
...the world of internet and computer makes...

FRC
Thanks for correcting me. But you didn't answer the question!
Ako

I do not think you can prefer one of the other. It depends on your application. BE is great in London. Try it in the Bajous of Louisiana. Two people divided by one language. :wink:

I can't say I hate BrE but I think it's a stifled and overglottalized version of an otherwise "normal" language. To me BrE sounds awfully pretentious and a bit pompous. That's just my take on it and somehow I can't think of it any other way.... :? It almost feels like someone's reading a script and it's not natural....does anyone feel the same way??????

Have you considered the historical side? Have you looked into the level of required education? Scary, isn't it? I personally prefer the soft Southern drawl but it took a while to get the hang of it. Some of the things I have heard across the border were a bit iffy, too. :wink: :wink:
Whenever in doubt - habla Espanol? Without it you are lost in the continental US. Hang in there, we have a hurrican approaching tonight.


Have you considered the historical side? Have you looked into the level of required education?

not too sure what you mean by that...??? :D
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
Natalie27 said:
I can't say I hate BrE but I think it's a stifled and overglottalized version of an otherwise "normal" language.

twostep said:
Have you considered the historical side?

Natalie27 said:
not too sure what you mean by that...??? :D

I believe it's in reference to the origins/history of American English.
 

Francois

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2004
I can't say I hate BrE but I think it's a stifled and overglottalized version of an otherwise "normal" language. To me BrE sounds awfully pretentious and a bit pompous. That's just my take on it and somehow I can't think of it any other way.... Confused It almost feels like someone's reading a script and it's not natural....does anyone feel the same way??????
Yeah, Canadian French sounds very weird too :) :)

FRC
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
Comparisons are odious, not to mention, serve only to perpetuate the destruction of human diginity and spirit. :(

Can you guess my accent? :wink: My father is French Canadian; His parents came from France. My mother is English Canadian; her parents came from America (Maine) and Britain (London).
 

Francois

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2004
You mean it's ok when BE is bashed, but not Canadian French? My point is there's always someone somewhere who think you're bizarre, silly or whatever. If you think X is weird, keep in mind what Y might think of you, following the same logic.
Don't take everything at face value ;)

FRC
 

ako

Member
Joined
May 24, 2004
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Kurdish
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
twostep said:
I do not think you can prefer one of the other. It depends on your application. BE is great in London. Try it in the Bajous of Louisiana. Two people divided by one language. :wink:
Which applications? You mean the accent helps us seem native? Our feelings don't matter?

Ako
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Of course feelings matter; if you prefer one form, then use it, but what Twostep is saying is that the accents can be very different and that a strong regional accent might not be an asset in another area. ;-)
 

Francois

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2004
Yeah, I've even heard of tapes for native speakers to get a "neutral" (whatever it means), non-regional accent?!

FRC
 
N

Natalie27

Guest
tdol said:
Of course feelings matter; if you prefer one form, then use it, but what Twostep is saying is that the accents can be very different and that a strong regional accent might not be an asset in another area. ;-)

OK. what I don't understand is what it has to do with "the amount of education". Once you are born to a family that speaks with an Irish accent, you learn to speak with that accent as you grow up. If you are born to a Texan family, you will speak with a Texan accent regardless of your education, right? I still can't see his point. Maybe he can explain himself when he is back???

Thanks :lol:
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
Francois said:
You mean it's OK when BrE is bashed, but not Canadian French? My point is there's always someone somewhere who thinks you're bizarre, silly or whatever. If you think X is weird, keep in mind what Y might think of you, following the same logic.
Don't take everything at face value ;)

FRC

It would have been more than helpful, FRC, if you had stated that at the start. :?

All the best, :D
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
Natalie27 said:
tdol said:
Of course feelings matter; if you prefer one form, then use it, but what Twostep is saying is that the accents can be very different and that a strong regional accent might not be an asset in another area. ;-)

OK. what I don't understand is what it has to do with "the amount of education". Once you are born to a family that speaks with an Irish accent, you learn to speak with that accent as you grow up. If you are born to a Texan family, you will speak with a Texan accent regardless of your education, right? I still can't see his point. Maybe he can explain himself when he is back???

Thanks :lol:

I believe twostep's comment is in reference to RP (received pronunciation) and the like. Nevertheless, I, too, would like to hear/read twostep's full account. I wonder: How does Stephen Hawkings and speech synthesizers figure into it all?
 

Francois

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2004
Casiopea said:
Francois said:
You mean it's OK when BrE is bashed, but not Canadian French? My point is there's always someone somewhere who thinks you're bizarre, silly or whatever. If you think X is weird, keep in mind what Y might think of you, following the same logic.
Don't take everything at face value ;)

FRC

It would have been more than helpful, FRC, if you had stated that at the start. :?

All the best, :D
That's what the sarcasm meant. It was shorter, too ;) Sorry you took it amiss.

FRC
 
S

SaeedBak

Guest
BrE or AmE? That's the Question!

Hi everyone!

My name is Saeed.

I am a first year student of English at the University of Southern Denmark.
We have a course called "English Oral Proficiency" and we were told that we have to choose which of the main versions--or dialects--of spoken English we want to use... Basically we have to choose between British English and American English. Having sort of a fake British-like accent already, I tend to lean towards "sounding English" but I haven't decided yet...

Maybe BrE is the obvious choice--since I've been taught BrE since 4th grade (as most Europeans we are taught BrE, NOT AmE in school)--but then again my vocabulary, and to some extent my spelling and pronunciation has been affected by AmE--because of all the Hollywood films and American SitComs and soap operas...

Also, it seems my wannabe-BrE accent isn't as strong as I thought. My "Oral Proficiency" professor told me that my accent was hard to place. So I guess that means it's a sort of "Mid-Atlantic" hybrid. Yikes!

I never thought that we would have a choice between the two variations... I always thought that English at an academic university level meant BrE.

Our student advisor told us that he would recommend Am to those of us who haven't spent time in England...

Could use some feedback on that whole thing.

--Saeed--
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top