Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
[After the collision]
John Hutchinson: Boiler room six is flooded eight feet above the plain and the mail hold is worse. She's already buckled in the foreaft.
Captain Edward J. Smith: Can you shore up?
John Hutchinson: Not unless the pumps are ahead.

Titanic (1997 Film)

How can I interpret “buckled in” here? I looked it up in dictionaries. “Buckle in” seems to mean fastening your seat belt.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Look at the second sense of buckle in dictionaries. Try to relate that to what is happening to the ship at this point in the film.

Also, don't connect buckled to in. It's not a phrasal verb. The preposition phrase in the foreaft tells us where the ship is buckled.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Look at the second sense of buckle in dictionaries. Try to relate that to what is happening to the ship at this point in the film.

Also, don't connect buckled to in. It's not a phrasal verb. The preposition phrase in the foreaft tells us where the ship is buckled.

I seem to get it. It means the ship bent out of shape in the foreaft because of the hit against the iceberg.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I [STRIKE]seem to[/STRIKE] think I get it. It means the ship was/got bent out of shape in the foreaft [STRIKE]because[/STRIKE] when [STRIKE]of the hit against[/STRIKE] it hit the iceberg.

Please note my corrections above.