Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Kuwait
Current Location
Kuwait
Hello,

1- Are bulls and oxen the same? Are two words used interchangeably or what?

2- What is the difference between holiday and vacation?

Thanks

Anglika

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Other
#1 Oxen are castrated male cattle and are often used to pull carts; Bulls are uncastrated male cattle used for breeding more cattle..

#2 No difference in themselves. The UK takes holidays; the US takes/has vacations.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In AmE, a holiday is a special day of remembrance or celebration, such as Christmas or Memorial Day. A vacation is time taken off from work or school and relaxing or perhaps traveling, for example: "We spent our summer vacation at Disney World." "My kids did all the cooking and house cleaning on my birthday - I felt like I was on vacation!"

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
#2 No difference in themselves. The UK takes holidays; the US takes/has vacations.

In AmE, a holiday is a special day of remembrance or celebration, such as Christmas or Memorial Day. A vacation is time taken off from work or school and relaxing or perhaps traveling, for example: "We spent our summer vacation at Disney World." "My kids did all the cooking and house cleaning on my birthday - I felt like I was on vacation!"

When I worked for a multi-national firm, we used both - with a conflation of these two meanings. Christmas Day was a 'holiday', because everyone was out of the office - as was the "Early Spring Bank Holiday" (for example). 'Vacation' was those days that an individual chose to take off.
(I don't know if this is a widely-recognized distinction, but it seems to me a useful one.)

b

Ducklet Cat

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Kuwait
Current Location
Kuwait
Thanks dear friends :)

Status