Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi there, suppose, I am among a group of students in the class. I ask a question to them and want to if they can answer the question. So I ask "can any student(s) answer the question?"

My question is: Are both the following senstences correct? And what's the difference between the two sentences? I know people will generally ask "Can anyone answer my question?" But I want to know the difference that's why I have asked this. I am sorry if the given context is not proper.

1- Can any students answer my question?

2- Can any student answer my question?

And one more question,suppose, I am entering my office and see my friends are laughing. So I ask them "have any funny things happened? Why are you all laughing?"

Can I use "any" with a plural noun in the above context?

As usual If there is anything ungrammatical, please correct it.:)

subhajit123

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I think when I say "Can any students answer my question?" I am asking in general. But when I say "Can any student answer my question?"I want only one student to answer and I express doubt that there is more than one student in the class who can answer the question. Am I right?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The most natural question to a group of students is simply "Can anyone answer my question?"

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If somebody is laughing and I don't know why I might say:

"What's funny?"