Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I came across a sentence:
Those words do not become a person in your position.
Then can I use fit to replace "become"? If not, what's the differene between the two words?
Can anyone help explain it to me? Thanks.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Become is a slightly old-fashioned word in this sense. 'Fit' does nor really work, even though 'fitting' and 'becoming' as adjectives can be used as near-synonyms.

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Not 'fit'. There is an old word, 'befit' - which would have the right meaning but would sound rather stilted. The word 'become' is rarely used in that sense; it survives in the fossil 'conduct unbecoming an officer'. Today we use something like 'to be suitable/appropriate/fitting' or, if appropriate, 'unworthy'.

b

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Become is a slightly old-fashioned word...

...and has a literary or poetic ring to it, as in the play Mourning Becomes Electra (1931) and the song Moonlight Becomes You (it goes with your hair) (1947).

Inciidentally, chance22, instead of sending your thanks in a separate message, just click the Like button please.The reason is that it is flagged as a new post, so we think you might have a follow-up question or something to add. Those of us with slow connections and/or old computers have to waste valuable time waiting for it to appear.

Rover

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Become is a slightly old-fashioned word in this sense. 'Fit' does nor really work, even though 'fitting' and 'becoming' as adjectives can be used as near-synonyms.

I would expect to see that something was "unbecoming" of a person's position. That is, the sense of the word survives in the negative (un) form.

Status
Not open for further replies.